McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.
We are looking for an experienced Product Owner to join our team to help drive the creation and delivery of critical features that create engagement and revenue through our web and email platforms. These platforms are the key to delivering our award-winning journalism to communities across the country every day. The website is often the first point of contact with new customers and leads to further engagement opportunities, including signups to our newsletters, which help customers find the information they need and want on a daily basis. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history and this role plays a critical part in our success.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Learn a little about us: This is McClatchy
This position is located in our innovation-focused, product-driven, technology hub in downtown Raleigh.
The Product Owner position will be a liaison between business, product managers, design, and development teams. The Product Owner is responsible for transforming business requirements into detailed, high-quality technical specifications with a cross-functional team. An understanding of web technologies and the changing technical landscape is essential in executing required duties. To be successful in this role, the Product Owner must be able to balance prioritization of customer, business, and technical needs, and organize sprints and releases to deliver value early.
Other requirements of the role include:
- Serve as a product expert, coordinating requirements and actions across multiple teams
- Collaborate with technical, creative and business stakeholders to ensure timely and relevant product implementations
- Work with a cross-functional team and have full understanding of engineering, user experience, analytics, project management, QA, and how these areas interact and work together
- Work with the team to establish and adhere to clear project plans, timelines, resources, milestones, etc. and help ensure timely and accurate completion of projects
- Possess a fundamental understanding of end-to-end customer experience integration and dependencies.
- Work with customer support to identify, diagnose, and resolve live app issues as they arise
- Develop feature requirements with clear product acceptance criteria in a prioritized product backlog
- Collaborate with vendors to either provide or supplement product offerings
- Collect feedback from stakeholders and, ultimately, accept the product development work
- Participate in release planning and provide support for releases as needed
- Champion a culture of teamwork and innovation while ultimately taking ownership of key product decisions
- Keep customers and stakeholders apprised of status.
- Prioritize the backlog according to business goals and objectives while focusing on building and delivering the most value within the constraints of time and resources
- Develop effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Maintain a solutions-oriented approach, working quickly to remove obstacles
- Help the teams to deliver exceptional, timely results
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, or a related field, or comparable experience
- Minimum 4-5 years experience as a product manager/owner, or comparable experience
- Must be familiar with web, HTML5, JS frameworks
- Previous experience in completing projects using Agile methodologies
- Experience writing formal business & technical requirements and documentation for web applications
- Experience leading cross-functional efforts and working closely with UX, analytics, user research, visual designers, development teams, and business stakeholders
- An effective and persuasive communicator who can contribute to or lead effective meetings and engage diverse audiences
- Continuous self-initiated learning is a necessary skill
- Proven web product management and/or development experience
- Previous technical experience