Associate Corporate Counsel
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future! Learn a little about us: This is McClatchy
McClatchy is hiring an Associate Corporate Counsel to support our sales and advertising agency divisions. The primary focus of this role is expediting reviews of custom sales orders, reviewing legal documents accompanying grants and government RFP’s, and advising on legal issues specific to advertising and marketing. Associate Corporate Counsel will also assist in the review of digital revenue agreements, licensing agreements, service contracts, and other agreements as needed.
Our philosophy is that “no” is rarely the correct answer; rather, we strive to help the business find solutions to meet their goals while minimizing risk to McClatchy. We do so by understanding our business, connecting and relating to people, diversifying both our business and legal knowledge base and remaining agile to adapt to different situations.
To accomplish these goals, candidates should have a strong understanding of business, strong team collaboration skills, excellent communication skills, a practical, solutions-oriented approach and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. Additionally, success in this role will come with strong knowledge of various laws and issues and creative thinking to find ways to legally navigate potential impediments to business objectives.
This position is located in our downtown Raleigh NC office.
- Advise and assist the advertising/sales teams in negotiating client custom terms.
- Review and redline contracts from a legal perspective with the objective of striking the optimum balance between minimizing risk and maximizing business opportunity.
- Draft new contract verbiage as may be needed to fill gaps within existing language or to create standardized agreements, work orders, insertion orders, etc.
- Maintain existing standardized legal templates, such as the advertiser terms of service template.
- Work with Strategic Business Operations (SBO) staff and stakeholders in key McClatchy divisions to develop innovative approaches to legal issues in a way that is consistent with McClatchy strategy and business objectives.
- Advise McClatchy employees on matters of contract compliance.
- Maintain an awareness of current and anticipated legal and regulatory requirements affecting media, including libel, privacy, CAN-SPAM and copyright, as well as issues such as patent law that affect technical contracts.
- Law degree from a reputable law school that is fully accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Active membership in the Bar Association of your current state of residence.
- 3-4 years of experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating business-to-business contracts relating to digital media
- Ability to interpret the business objectives of internal stakeholders and support those objectives in drafting and negotiating agreements.
- Ability to be flexible and innovative in handling urgent and/or complex matters with short deadlines.
- Excellent negotiation skills, particularly in complex environments, dealing with both vendor business representatives and vendor counsel.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Solid understanding of Internet business models.
- Ability to work quickly and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well within a project team or independently as needed.
- Availability and willingness to work extended hours as occasionally needed to meet business objectives.
- Membership in one of the following state bars: North Carolina, California, Florida, or Delaware.
- Experience with digital advertising or sales contracts is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with advertising self-regulatory standards (IAB, NAA, DAA) strongly preferred.