Associate Art Director
McClatchy is looking for a cross-functional creative individual to join the advertising team. In this role, you will help with a wide range of projects by delivering innovative concepts, timely execution and clear guidance to our production design resources and beyond.
To be successful, core areas of required expertise should include: conceptual digital ad creation, social media development, web design and marketing collateral ideation and design. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to build their creative excellence beyond design visuals and grow their abilities in strategy development by assisting in larger campaign requests requiring content ideation and execution via our network of award-winning partners.
The Associate Art Director will also play a critical role in helping drive innovation by aiding in discovery and implementation of new technologies that help scale high-quality creative. Additionally, this role will work closely with various internal teams to uncover optimization opportunities that help maximize results for our clients.
The right candidate will deploy a customer-focused approach with a creative mindset, an eye for detail and a knack for conceptual design with the ability to suggest strong ad copy and content. These skills will be supplemented by a comprehensive understanding of the current advertising and marketing landscape across digital, print, video and more.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help design, implement and manage creative marketing solutions and visually appealing advertising deliverables from rough concepts through execution, often with minimal input.
- Research client and project needs and utilize this information to help drive creative decisions that impact client success throughout the life of each campaign.
- Coordinate with various partners to help lead the creation and subsequent production of advertising campaigns servicing clients across up to 30 markets.
- Lead and collaborate on ideation of assigned projects and suggest creative ad campaign copy as part of a self-sustaining conceptual team.
- Complete quality assurance measures on necessary creative projects prior to final delivery to internal stakeholders and clients.
- Focus on innovation and finding new ways to deliver creative solutions for our clients.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Solid knowledge of what it takes to create successful performance-based advertising that meets and surpasses desired client KPIs
- Ability to develop and deliver on projects at all levels with a strong attention to detail and eye for visual aesthetics from creative brief through proofing and edits through delivery
- Desire to grow knowledge and conceptual ideation abilities to aid in creation of advertising campaigns and content programs for key advertisers
- Strong desire to stay up-to-date with industry and design trends
- Ability to prioritize and execute work under pressure using strong organizational skills to deliver across multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills, problem solving abilities and a team-first attitude
- Ability to interact professionally and build relationships across numerous internal teams and with external partners and freelancers
- Computer proficiency - Adobe Creative Suite, Google Workspace (Gmail/Docs/Sheets/Slides) and project management software
- Must be able to work remotely while contributing to a team environment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; preferably in graphic design, advertising, communications or marketing, or the equivalent education, experience, skills and knowledge needed to do the job.
Two years related advertising experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Able to work independently and effectively. Understanding of advertising products, processes and systems to support the creative and client success teams. Ability to identify improvement opportunities to maximize efficiency. Keeps downtime to a minimum, proactively seeking out work needing to be done. Helpful & responsive to questions and requests across numerous departments.