Audience Growth Producer
The Miami Herald is looking for a creative, high-energy journalist to join our regional audience growth team. This journalist will work across three newsrooms in Florida, along with other newsrooms in McClatchy’s East Region. Members of the growth team are responsible for determining the best ways to promote our journalism and engage and interact with readers. Our goals are building long-term engagement and loyalty, while continuing to attract new audiences of readers.
Candidates must have strong writing, editing and visuals skills. They will need a strong understanding of social media, and should be comfortable with other distribution methods such as newsletters and push alerts.
The ideal candidate would have experience working in content management systems and social media, and be comfortable interacting with readers. A willingness to experiment with emerging platforms and techniques is a must. The candidate must be organized and able to multitask, as they may be working with multiple newsrooms daily. Keen news judgment, strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate with fellow employees – both local and remote – are also musts. The ability to write engaging headlines and a working knowledge of SEO are key skills.
This growth producer will be based in Miami and will report to the regional growth editor in Miami. Night and weekend hours are a possibility.
- Manage newsroom social media accounts. Deep expertise in a specific platform (ie, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) is a plus, but you will work on all platforms.
- Assist in creating and executing strategies for engagement and crowdsourcing.
- Manage home pages and optimize story pages.
- Monitor real-time analytics and convey strategic guidance to reporters and editors.
- Assist reporters and editors with story packaging and content promotion. This includes identifying target audiences, determining story format, improving and testing headlines, SEO and social media distribution.
- Produce customized newsletters and manage push alerts.
- Assist reporters and editors in implementing new platforms and technologies.
- Participate in additional projects and tasks as assigned by the regional growth editor, regional editor and/or local executive editor.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of writing, editing, digital production, and/or social media experience
- Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred
- Ability to write engaging headlines
- Working knowledge of SEO and digital best practices
- Solid news judgment
- A demonstrated understanding of digital audiences
- Ability to collaborate with a remote team located throughout the region
- Experience running a branded social media account and/or campaign
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and any related portfolio materials in an email to Adrian Ruhi at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of "Growth Producer application."
The Miami Herald is a member of the McClatchy Company. All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of post-offer drug and background screenings. We offer a competitive salary, along with a varied benefits package, including, Medical, Dental, Vision coverage, LiveWell, Life Insurance, 401(k) Savings Plan, vacation, sick leave and company holidays. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer.