Breaking News Reporter
The Breaking News Reporter will be responsible for writing lightning-fast stories and posts about breaking news, local politics, business, entertainment, sports and lifestyle news that is driving the conversation online – or will be driving it a few minutes from now.
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics.
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and extremely high energy.
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.
- Energy, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor a vast amount of information for a wide audience, matched with discerning judgment about what to pursue. The ability to execute both quickly and well, with creativity.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The ability to know and understand that readers come first, last and always.
- Strong ability to write quickly, accurately and well.
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences.
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement.
- News judgment; excellent writing skills; facility with
social mediaand SEO; quickstudy of CMSes and storytelling tools.
- A demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies, including content management systems; social media platforms; video editing software; and any emerging storytelling tools and platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism. The new workflows require constant conversations between reporters and editors and between reporters and their audience as a story evolves.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College degree or
itsequivalent of education and experience.
- Professional journalism experience.