McClatchy is seeking a creative, collaborative news editor to lead one of America’s great local Florida news organizations, the Bradenton Herald.
As Editor of the Bradenton Herald, the person in this role will work with a talented team of journalists to reach an ever-growing and increasingly diverse audience of readers, viewers and listeners in Bradenton, a beach town on Florida’s west coast, known for its old Florida history, only an hour from Tampa and half hour from St. Pete. The opportunity is to accelerate our digital transition, leveraging a storied brand and high-impact newsroom into a sustainable operation that produces accountability and investigative journalism, solutions-focused journalism, utility news and information, and breaking news that is first and best on the most important issues to our local communities.
The successful candidate will be a talented news leader who can draw the best work from our reporters and a visual journalist, and drive newsroom collaboration. This person should be motivated to mentor and develop young journalists and must be a thoughtful leader with experience in newsroom transformation, someone able to approach the role with fresh ideas on how to serve an audience that is changing and growing.
We are looking for an accomplished business leader with strong communication skills who can move quickly and creatively to drive engagement at all levels of the organization. The person in this position should be eager to collaborate with colleagues in the Florida region as well as all levels of the organization and across the McClatchy enterprise.
Success in this role will be measured by the distinctive journalism produced by the Bradenton newsroom as well as audience and subscriber growth for that differentiated content. This requires a command of audience analytics and knowledge of the tactics that deliver results, as well as a desire to experiment with purpose, iterate and adjust as the news environment dictates.
The Executive Editor will serve as the face of the Bradenton Herald in the community and will work to develop strong relationships and build community support that helps to bolster the organization’s place within a competitive and collaborative news ecosystem.
The person in this role will report to McClatchy’s Florida Regional Editor. This person also will work closely with McClatchy’s Vice President, Local News, as well as with the Miami Herald’s president as a member of the Florida leadership team. The person will occasionally collaborate with colleagues at the Miami Herald.
Change is a central feature of a digital newsroom, and the next Bradenton Herald Executive Editor must be both confident and conscientious in guiding a motivated newsroom to always keep our community’s interests at the heart of our journalism. If this is you, please apply.
- At least 6 years of experience as a successful leader of a newsroom or large news team
- Experience working with news analytics to grow audience and drive subscriptions
- Experience with social media platforms and understanding of how they move the needle for audience engagement
- Experience as a multi-platform storyteller, with passion for the written word as well as video. Audio experience is a bonus.
- Experience building successful teams and experimenting with purpose to better serve our local audiences.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy (toward readers and staff) and a superior ear for tone.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to longform pieces in a way that best serves and engages our audiences.
- Excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests before they exist.
- Ability to articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence.
- An interest in the science of readership and engagement, and a zeal for understanding and using readership data to inform the editorial process.
- A focus on ensuring that our content and staffing represents the fullness of our community and state and the diversity of the people who live here.
- An interest in and aptitude for storytelling using a broad range of media, including the written word, video, photography, podcasts and other audio, and whatever comes next.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
- Entrepreneurial spirit focused on helping to identify and build new opportunities.
- Enthusiasm for helping to build philanthropic and community support for the journalism we do.
- Strong working knowledge of media law and ethics