Mattamy Homes Canada
Construction - Site, Ottawa Division
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
As the Assistant Builder you are in an entry-level building management position which assists the Builder in overseeing timely construction of each home -- within budget, to company high quality standards while striving to provide The Best Homeowner Experience. You play an important role in producing QA-ready homes by coordinating various complex aspects of construction process, in an efficient, safe manner through effective assistant management of trades, suppliers, and staff.
What you’ll do
- Assists Builder in ensuring complete adherence to Mattamy Construction Processes, in accordance with Mattamy Policy and Procedures.
- Assists Builder in managing construction of assigned homes from carpentry to warranty service request signoff. Assumes shared responsibility for each home meeting ALL standards, including QA ready.
- Attends regular staff meetings and may substitute for the Builder at such meetings. Comes prepared to discuss safety, quality, production timelines, costs and other issues as determined by Site Manager.
- Assists in monitoring all daily trade functions: timeliness, quality of workmanship and completion of work. Walks all homes daily to ensure imperfections are noted, Building Code is adhered to, and Homebuyers’ Options and Extras are done. Adheres to procedures as required by the trade Scopes of Work and Mattamy Quality Standards. Takes corrective action, as necessary.
- Conducts detailed frame check on each unit prior to drywall, in accordance with Mattamy Policy and Procedures, and follows up to ensure timely completion of any items noted.
- Along with Builder, shares responsibility to schedule and conduct homeowner frame walk.
- Assists Builder in supervising on-site construction staff, including the scheduling of subcontractor’s inspectors and suppliers on the job, resolving day-to-day problems on the job site, inspecting all work during construction to ensure compliance with plans and specifications, and resolving construction problems.
- Assists in ordering all materials required to construct houses.
- Communicates and coordinates activities with trade partners to ensure smooth production operation.
- Assists Builder in scheduling and may attend municipal inspections. Assists Inspectors with the completion of review and rectifies issues as required.
- Assists the Builder in managing to Production Schedule and updating it no less than weekly.
- Assists Builder in enforcing Lumber Management Program with supplier and framer as developed by Purchasing Department, in accordance with Mattamy Policy and Procedures.
- Ensures all work being done in a safe manner and enforces safety standards and laws within position’s scope of authority.
- Ensures homes are as clean and aesthetically appealing as possible while under construction.
What you bring
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in homebuilding industry in absence of post-secondary education
- Must have a valid driver's license and regular access to a vehicle.
- Good technical understanding of homebuilding
- Intensely focused on delivering a quality product --- takes pride in building a QA-ready home
- Basic understanding of Ontario Building Codes and Health & Safety regulations
- Ability and experience in recognizing and solving problems, taking initiative in seeking direction from direct supervisor when uncertain
- Good customer service skills
- Self-started who leads by example and readily assumes responsibility for results; readily takes on greater responsibility
- Good organizational skills and experience using basic tools such as to-do lists, day timer, logbook, daily follow-up
- Good interpersonal and communication skills required, both oral and written
- Willing to take responsibility and be held accountable for results
- Post-secondary education / Community College in related field (e.g., Construction Engineering Technology) or suitable combination of education and relevant industry experience preferred
- Experience using BuildPro would be considered an asset
- People management experience an asset
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.