Construction Site Health & Safety Representative (Labourer)
Milton/GTA Area, Ontario
Construction Site, GTA Urban Division
Who We Are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across the United States and Canada. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area, as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
What We Offer
Mattamy is embarking on a journey to take our experience and leadership as a “community builder” to the next level. We have ambitious initiatives to expand and enhance our multi-family mid- and high-rise offerings in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Mattamy’s new GTA Urban Division includes the company’s current collection of 40 high-rise projects and all multi-family developments within its master-planned communities in the Greater Toronto market and has aggressive growth targets for both the 416 and 905 regions of the GTA. The division will be led by a dedicated, experienced team focused on both growing Mattamy’s urban footprint and implementing innovative community design.
The Site Construction Health & Safety Representative promotes and maintains a safe, healthy and legally compliant construction site/community through diligent communication, application and management of Mattamy’s corporate health and safety policy and programs pertinent to its communities under construction.
- Performs general labourer work as required such as cutting concrete; covering, scraping and stripping floors; collecting and disposing of debris at the construction site; building guard rails; ensuring footings and walls are ready for inspection; making sure houses are graded and safe for the bricklayer trades to work etc.
- Reviews, assesses and reports any issues of safety, including ensuring protective gear are used/worn.
- Responsible to regularly conduct on-site inspections for safe physical conditions and safe work practices. Reviews deficiencies with Senior Builder and, if necessary, assists in developing and implementing corrective actions.
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of pertinent provincial and local statutes, regulations, by-laws and standards.
- Monitors compliance to company standards and applicable legislation. Advises management in areas of non-compliance and makes recommendations (or, where appropriate, directs action) for improvements to current work practices, systems, policies and procedures.
- Handles all safety related documents and processes paperwork necessary such as accident reports, meeting minutes, inspections etc.
What You Bring
- Experience in multi-family building or related construction industry.
- OH & S provincial certification (or in the process of obtaining it) is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in investigating, interviewing, documenting and reporting incidents and accidents in a health & safety context is considered an asset.
- Decisive with the ability to handle difficult or unusual situations through tactful direct personal action or referral to the appropriate individual.
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills with accuracy in details.
- Ability to display mature, objective judgment in situations.
- Strong organizational skills and time management.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
We are doing our part to safeguard your health and taking extra steps to reduce the spread of COVID-19. All work sites and premises will allow for required physical distancing requirements, and new routines and resources such as hand sanitizer, antiseptic wipes, masks, or other protective equipment.
Vaccination is the single best protection against COVID-19 for us as individuals and our communities and is vital to maintaining our commitment to health and safety. The successful applicant will be required, as a condition of employment with Mattamy, to provide Mattamy with proof that they have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine (or combination of vaccines) authorized by Health Canada, subject to accommodations required under applicable human rights legislation.
At Mattamy, we are passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important aspects of the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. We offer a workplace that allows our employees to experience exciting possibilities in their career including continuous learning, opportunity for growth, competitive compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package.
When you’re part of the Mattamy family, your day to day work has an incredible impact. What we do takes teamwork, and everyone pulls together to give our very best. With a focus on continued growth and industry leadership, exciting career possibilities are waiting for you at Mattamy. Based on the culture we pride ourselves on, we’ve been recognized with external awards as well. Some of our most recent recognition includes:
Canada’s Best Managed Companies (2020)
Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2020 & 2019)
Greater Toronto’s Top Employers (2021, 2020 & 2019)
Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2017)
We have big plans for our business and our team. Be part of our ambitious future!
Mattamy Homes is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.