Manager, Insurance Strategy
Manager, Insurance Strategy
Toronto, Ontario (Hybrid)
Mattamy Asset Management
VP, Treasurer, Tax & Insurance
Who We Are
Mattamy Asset Management (MAM) is an asset manager focused on building a diversified portfolio of investments across geographies, asset classes and the spectrum of risk and return. Mattamy Asset Management is the parent company of Mattamy Homes Canada, Mattamy Homes U.S., Mattamy Insurance Agency and Mattamy Ventures, which together comprise the largest privately held homebuilding platform in North America. Fernsby is the first Venture capital business from the Mattamy Ventures team, focusing on creating offerings that are economically attractive, create value for consumers and help homeowners live more sustainably. Mattamy Insurance Agency is focused on selling home insurance. Mattamy Asset Management is committed to achieving the best-possible long-term risk-adjusted returns for its clients and functioning as a socially responsible corporate citizen.
What We Offer
Under the leadership of the VP, Treasurer, the Manager, Insurance Strategy will manage the Mattamy corporate insurance program, acting as the go-to insurance expert within the team. We are looking to add an insurance professional to our team who will bring passion, business acumen, and a get-it-done attitude to power Mattamy’s fast growing insurance program. The Manager, Insurance Strategy will drive decision-making and support Mattamy in our pursuit of growth.
- Build the foundation for an insurance operations function across the Mattamy business
- Serve as a key stakeholder in insurance claims monitoring, navigation, and management
- Settlement of losses for all insurance programs, including reporting the loss to the insurer, loss control advice, coverage interpretation and liaising with business units and providing instruction to adjuster and external counsel.
- Manage external vendors to ensure programs, systems and service levels are maintained
- Responsible for the renewal and content of all vendor agreements, leading the annual insurance renewal process; liaising with internal & external stakeholders (including brokers and insurance companies including our captive) and conducting assessments of self-insurance
- Manage third party claims adjuster and ensure quality of service provided
- Review and audit third party adjuster files and meet defined reporting requirements
- Analyze information and providing recommendations for improvement
- Develop the annual financial plans for the departmental claims fund for review and approval
- Review and provide input into all corporate policies, corporate standards, and policies and procedures relating to insurance
- Provide internal and external customers with responsive, timely, professional service.
- General responsibilities for a broad and diverse set of activities in principal areas of insurance coverage, claims, risk control, insurance certificates, accounting, and administration
- Other duties as assigned
What You Bring
- Post-secondary education in Business or a related discipline
- 3-5 years of experience in insurance claims, risk & insurance management and/or insurance broker experience
- Practical knowledge and experience of claims handling in Canada (Experience in the US considered an asset)
- CIP/CRM designations considered an asset
- Knowledge of diverse insurance policies and emerging insurance trends
- Strong track record of execution and impact in a series of progressive experiences in an insurance and/or risk-oriented setting
- Outstanding communication and relationship building skills, with a team-oriented focus
- Strong analytical, decision making, project management, planning and organizational skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to thrive in a fast-moving, ambiguous work environment
- Curiosity and a passion for excellence, ownership, and continuous improvement
Health & Safety
We are doing our part to safeguard your health and taking extra steps to reduce the spread of COVID-19. All work sites and premises will allow for required physical distancing requirements, and new routines and resources such as hand sanitizer, antiseptic wipes, masks, or other protective equipment.
Vaccination is the single best protection against COVID-19 for us as individuals and our communities and is vital to maintaining our commitment to health and safety. The successful applicant will be required, as a condition of employment with Mattamy, to provide Mattamy with proof that they have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine (or combination of vaccines) authorized by Health Canada, subject to accommodations required under applicable human rights legislation.
At Mattamy, we’re passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important aspects of the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues and communities. We offer a workplace that allows our employees to experience exciting possibilities in their career including continuous learning, opportunity for growth, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
When you’re part of the Mattamy family, your day to day work has an incredible impact. What we do takes teamwork, and everyone pulls together to give our very best. With a focus on continued growth and industry leadership, exciting career possibilities are waiting for you at Mattamy. Based on the culture we pride ourselves on, we’ve been recognized with external awards as well. Some of our most recent recognition includes:
Canada’s Best Managed Companies (2021 & 2020)
Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2020 & 2019)
Greater Toronto’s Top Employers (2022, 2021, 2020 & 2019)
Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2021 & 2017)
We have big plans for our business and our team. Be part of our ambitious future!
Mattamy Asset Management is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.