Director, Environmental Social Governance (ESG)
Toronto, Ontario (Hybrid)
Mattamy Asset Management
CEO, Mattamy Ventures – Mattamy Asset Management
Who We Are
Mattamy Asset Management (MAM) is an asset manager focused on building a diversified portfolio of investments across geographies, asset classes and the spectrum of risk and return. Mattamy Asset Management is the parent company of Mattamy Homes Canada and Mattamy Homes U.S., which together comprise the largest privately held homebuilding platform in North America. Mattamy Asset Management is committed to achieving the best-possible long-term risk-adjusted returns for its clients and functioning as a socially responsible corporate citizen.
What We Offer
Reporting to the CEO of Mattamy Ventures, the Director, Environmental Social Governance (ESG) will lead and influence the ESG policy for the Mattamy group of companies, including developing and implementing a comprehensive strategy. The incumbent will play a major role, in collaboration with a range of Mattamy and sector leaders, in the integration of our ESG strategy across the business. This has become an increasingly critical component of strategy for leading corporations globally and is seen to be both brand-enhancing priority and a societal responsibility.
The Director will be integral in developing actions plans to address the identified priorities from the data collection done to date, working across the Mattamy family to identify resources, activities, outcomes and cost-benefit analysis. This role will then be responsible for the implementation of the identified action plans, as well as the ongoing management and enhancement of the program.
- Lead the Mattamy ESG project, in collaboration and consultation with external advisors, stakeholders and the Sustainability Advisor Council which is comprised of Shareholder family members and executives from Parent Company (MAM), as well as the Operating Companies (Mattamy Ventures, Mattamy Homes Canada and U.S.)
- Project management including tracking the time/task planning, progress against plan, project/track budget, and coordinate meetings/project logistics
- Research all potential sources of ESG knowledge and expertise to construct, populate and maintain a virtual library of all aspects of ESG including governing statues/regulations and government policies/processes
- Identifying best practices in our industries and for leading companies in Canada, US and Europe
- Cataloging existing requirements and/or approaches from investors, lenders, and investment managers
- Financial data gathering, budgeting, and basic modelling
- Site visits to various Mattamy Homes sites to assess current practices
- Preparing and presenting status reports for MAM, and the MAM Executive Committee and Board
- Develop/maintain strong working relationships with key business decision makers to champion the ESG strategy across Mattamy
What You Bring
- University-level education in a relevant discipline such as Business, Environmental Science or Economics, Social Science, etc.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in a consumer-facing industry or industries with at least 3 years in an ESG strategy and implementation role
- Experience in the construction or homebuilding industry preferred
- Experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Strong management, decision-making and interpersonal sensitivity skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and a familiarity with sustainability strategy and reporting measurement and analysis
- Direct knowledge of the development/home-building or urban planning industries considered an asset
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including PowerPoint and Excel
- Passion to make an impact for environmental and social issues
- Highly effective written and oral communication and presentation skills, both for internal and external interactions at all levels of the organization including Executives
- A rigorous attention to detail and approach to research and analysis
Health & Safety
We are doing our part to safeguard your health and taking extra steps to reduce the spread of COVID-19. All work sites and premises will allow for required physical distancing requirements, and new routines and resources such as hand sanitizer, antiseptic wipes, masks, or other protective equipment.
Vaccination is the single best protection against COVID-19 for us as individuals and our communities and is vital to maintaining our commitment to health and safety. The successful applicant will be required, as a condition of employment with Mattamy, to provide Mattamy with proof that they have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine (or combination of vaccines) authorized by Health Canada, subject to accommodations required under applicable human rights legislation.
At Mattamy, we’re passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important aspects of the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues and communities. We offer a workplace that allows our employees to experience exciting possibilities in their career including continuous learning, opportunity for growth, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
When you’re part of the Mattamy family, your day to day work has an incredible impact. What we do takes teamwork, and everyone pulls together to give our very best. With a focus on continued growth and industry leadership, exciting career possibilities are waiting for you at Mattamy. Based on the culture we pride ourselves on, we’ve been recognized with external awards as well. Some of our most recent recognition includes:
Canada’s Best Managed Companies (2021 & 2020)
Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2020 & 2019)
Greater Toronto’s Top Employers (2022, 2021, 2020 & 2019)
Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2021 & 2017)
We have big plans for our business and our team. Be part of our ambitious future!
Mattamy Asset Management is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.