Certified Ready Mix Driver Trainer - Austin, TX Area
Under the direction of the Plant Manager and the Safety Manager, the Driver Trainer will train new drivers on operation of company vehicles. The Certified Ready-Mix Driver Trainer (CDT) is a designation issued by Martin Marietta. This certification is intended to recognize outstanding employees with proven safety experience, product knowledge, a strong commitment to customer service and a recognized professional by his/her peers.
Requirements for Certification:
The driver must have been employed with Martin Marietta for at least one year, have no Reportable or Lost Time Injuries in the past three years, meet our MVR standards and demonstrate a strong commitment to the Guardian Angel program. Additionally, a CDT should have good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Support and advocate all Martin Marietta safety programs to include Guardian Angel and the Wingman programs
- Trains or retrains company ready mix drivers on safe operations and maintenance of assigned equipment.
- Be able to coach and mentor new employees on the right techniques of operating a ready mix truck.
- Performs daily preventative maintenance, records management and inspection of vehicles to include fueling, cleaning, tire/light inspection, checking and adding fluids as needed.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
- Assist maintenance with repairs as needed.
- Visually inspect the consistency of concrete in mixer.
- Communicate and direct coworkers verbally either directly, through two-way radio or hand signals.
- Ensure all delivery tickets are signed and returned to Martin Marietta Materials/Ready Mix.
- Exercise good judgment regarding work site access, unloading and operation to and from work site.
- Maintain good customer relations by acting in a professional, courteous manner.
Preferred Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
After being selected into the CDT program, a driver must complete a series of Martin Marietta training covering the following subjects:
- Successful completion of training for communication skill and difficult conversations.
- Concrete mixer operation and associated systems
- Detailed knowledge of concrete and quality assurance
- Understanding of Vehicle Maintenance
- MM Environmental Overview
- Customer Service Training
- New Hire Orientation Process
- Drive Cam Overview
- Gold Star Overview
- Guardian Angel Presenter or exhibits detailed knowledge of the program
- CPR & First Aid Training
- OSHA 10hr training
- Certified Smith Systems Instructor
- Quality Control ACI Field Grade #1
Education and Experience
- Possess a Class B Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL), or better.
- The required training course will be offered by Martin Marietta at Area office Locations. Each course a driver completes will be accredited toward his/her certification. A driver must successfully complete all the courses and training to receive the distinction of being a Certified Driver Trainer.
- One-year experience operating diesel tandem trucks and/or Ready Mix truck driving experience preferred
- After a driver has been certified, he/she must maintain certification by continuing to possess an exemplary driving and safety record. A CDT must maintain high standards of customer service and care for equipment. Each year, CDT will attend/complete continued and/or update training.
- Recertification as a Certified Smith Instructor is required every two years.
- Read, write and communicate in English.
- Able to work the maximum driving hours as authorized by DOT regulations.
- Ability to climb stairs, climb ladders, reach, squat, tolerate prolonged standing/walking, balance, bend from trunk, crawl, kneel, push and pull objects.
- Demonstrate neck range of motion within normal limits (flexion and extension 60°, lateral flexion 40° and rotation 70°)
- Lift objects of various dimensions and weights.
- Ability to operate hand controls with both hands.
- Ability to operate foot pedals with both feet.
- Ability to perform sustained overhead reaching.
- Ability to use vibration tools.
- Ability to tolerate working outdoors in all environmental temperatures and weather.
- Ability to work in areas with the potential for high noise levels.
- Ability to tolerate working at heights up to 9 feet.
- Coaching Essentials
- Guardian Angel/Wingman
- Smith System Training
- Drive Cam Training
- OSHA 10
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled