Lead C++ Software Developer
Simba Technologies, a division of Magnitude Software, is the industry’s source for standards-based relational data connectivity solutions. Having co-developed the ODBC specification with Microsoft in 1992, Simba has become the de-facto standard technology stack for ISVs to use when building their drivers. Our reputation as a connectivity pioneer has made us the partner of choice for innovative enterprise data connectivity solutions, literally, tens of millions of business professionals use our software every day.
This is an exciting time to join the company. Already the market leader, Simba is rapidly expanding its solutions to address the new and emerging database technologies such as Block Chain, Time Series, Graph and others as the market defines and embraces new technologies. Simba’s latest customers read like a who’s who of the Big Data, Hadoop, and NoSQL worlds including companies like Alteryx, Cloudera, DataStax, Google, Informatica, Hortonworks, MapR, Microsoft, SAP and Teradata. Simba’s ODBC and JDBC drivers are the most widely used for connecting BI, reporting, analytics and machine learning tools to data sources like Cassandra, Google BigQuery, Hive, Impala, and MongoDB. Every major Hadoop distribution, including Cloudera, Hortonworks, MapR, and Microsoft, have independently chosen Simba’s ODBC drivers.
We are looking for an experienced C++ Software Developer to lead a customer facing team within our engineering services group in Vancouver. Apart from writing high quality code, you will be responsible for key deliverables during your team’s software development lifecycle including software design, code reviews, and comprehensive automated tests. The successful candidate will have a passion for continuous improvement and must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Responsibilities and Duties
You will develop and maintain connectivity solutions by leading a team of developers to accomplish engineering tasks and objectives. This includes:
- Working closely with the project's management team and directly with the customer
- Taking ownership of development from inception to delivery, including fully automated testing of components
- Championing coding standards and best practices for quality engineering
- Driving sprint planning and breakdown of tasks
- Creating and understanding technical specifications and design/architecture documentation
- Contributing to performance testing & various continuous improvement efforts
- Articulating technical concepts to the customer and responding directly to support representatives.
- Efficiently resolving customer support issues
- Leading all team activities, including sprint planning, retrospectives, thoughtful code reviews, knowledge sharing sessions, status reporting for project stakeholders, etc.
- Helping and mentoring others, both on your own team & across related teams
- A Bachelor's Degree in a computing-related discipline
- Experience in designing and building software, preferably commercial enterprise applications or systems
- 5+ years of programming experience inclusive of C++
- Experience with low-level C and networking is desired, but not necessary
- Experience developing on Windows, Linux and MacOS
- A good understanding of object-oriented analysis, design and implementation
- A good understanding of database concepts (e.g. working with relational data sources such as MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.) and SQL queries
- Experience with Azure is desired
- A passion for high quality software engineering and technology
- Reliable, driven and eager to learn
- Highly developed problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead and mentor others
- Available to work in Vancouver when we return to work