ILMxLAB Senior Rendering / Graphics Engineer - Mobile
ILMxLAB is looking for a Senior Rendering/Graphics Engineer to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery.
As a Rendering/Graphics Engineer you will develop new techniques for real-time rendering, deliver tools and technology that empower storytellers, and collaborate with our sister company, Industrial Light & Magic, to leverage existing knowledge and solutions. You will set new bars for what can be achieved with real-time rendering.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with ILMxLAB production teams, department stakeholders, and individual developers, designers, and artists to provide feedback and create clear and estimable technical designs.
- Provide creative, tested, and high-quality technical implementations that meet design and art requirements.
- Provide deep domain expertise in the area of rendering on mobile platforms.
- Maintain awareness of how technical implementation affects performance and memory footprint on mobile platforms.
- Seek to increase design and art departmental efficiency through tooling or workflow enhancements.
- Contribute to core studio mobile technologies in an architecturally sound way to ensure consistency in development efforts across multiple projects.
- Plan and manage tasks and schedules effectively.
- Partner with other engineers to form a highly productive team.
What We’re Looking For
- Passion for the craft of mobile development, particularly mobile VR
- Excellent 3D math skills (linear algebra, vector math)
- Strong graphics background with the ability to demonstrate knowledge in the following rendering areas: lighting, shadows, mesh processing, low-level graphics APIs, animation/deformation, particles and FX simulation, shaders
- Understanding of 3D scene construction, the graphics pipeline, and graphics debugging on mobile platforms
- Strong experience with identifying GPU bottlenecks (profiling) and implementing practical strategies for removing or mitigating those bottlenecks (optimization)
- Experience writing rendering code within modern game engines
- Strong knowledge of C/C++ programming, best practices, architectural considerations
- Communicate well with non-technical partners from other disciplines, such as artists, designers, and producers
- Strong debugging skills, including graphics debugging and mobile platform debugging tools
- Expertise in parallel programming, resource management, and GPU considerations specific to mobile platforms
- Deep experience of one or more of industry standard graphics APIs for mobile rendering (Vulkan, OpenGL, Metal)
- Deep experience in shader languages (HLSL/GLSL/Cg/OSL)
- Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Scientific discipline
- Bonus points for:
- At least 5 years of prior experience of coding in the role of Graphics Engineer for mobile development
- Experience with art-related tools such as Photoshop, 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and UE4 mobile development
- Experience in mobile VR rendering, particularly on the Oculus Quest platform
- Experience developing Android applications, knowledgeable with the Android development toolchain
- Experience in embedded systems, especially console development
- Education: advanced degree preferred
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.