Art Director (Short-term contract)
The Art Director is responsible for interpreting ideas communicated by the Director/Key Creative of a show(s) into traditional concept art and storyboards for Feature Films or Animated Features.
- Responsible for creating or providing concept art, storyboards, photo reference, and video reference to communicate ideas and develop goals for the design and look of a show(s)
- Partner with Art Directors at ILM SF on visual development across shows with a focus on shows for the Singapore studio
- Provides conceptual paint-overs and look direction for sequences and key shots for directorial approval. Art work is then used as a template for CG artists to complete work.
- Work closely with VFX Supervisor, and Lighting and Comp Supervisors to help define the look on shots and provide guidance for lighting and compositing
- Partners with Generalist Lead in providing creative direction and feedback to Generalist team, supervising the creation of artwork, storyboards, and material
- Help drive shots or sequences forward
- Oversees the creation of CG assets from Concept art, ensuring design continuity through the production process.
- Partners with ILM SF Art Directors, ensuring work is done according to the specifications of Director/Key Creatives
- Tracks and archives all work including project files, renders, source images, and textures
- May also function as a matte painter for some shot work
- Actively participates in dailies and transmissions
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 3+ years experience in Entertainment industry
- Experience in Film or Video Effects and/or Film production, including knowledge of cinematic techniques, language and shot composition
- Full portfolio demonstrating high-level traditional art skills and breadth of subject matter. Highly proficient at rendering imaginary scenes with little or no reference
- Submission release form needs to be completed before portfolio/reel can be reviewed
Required Skills / Competencies
- Developed “eye” and strong aesthetic
- Clear understanding of anatomy and motion of organic and mechanical forms.
- Demonstrated understanding and creation of photo real work
- Experience creating environments, hard surface, and creature design
- Ability to work closely with CG leadership and within a production environment
- Ability to support different productions with various design needs
- Ability to work under pressure while implementing changes based on input from multiple sources
- Excellent organizational skills.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.