Photo Retouch Artist
Position SummaryWe are looking for a Photo Retouch Artist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Photo Retouch Artist will be focused on developing photorealistic marketing art assets for both external production partners and Star Wars Franchise support.
What We're Looking For
- Utilize Photoshop to retouch, color correct and composite studio photography, set photography, as well as multiple poses of computer-generated images of characters and vehicles.
- Possess a combination of expert retouching skills: beauty retouching, hair and fur masking; advanced color correction and color balancing; pathing (roto) and masking, relighting, seamless 2D compositing using a combination of photographic, computer-generated, and/or FX source plates.
- Maintain strong file structure discipline with clearly named layers and folders following standard departmental photoshop file structure.
- Manage and archive assets within the folder and server structure of the Image Unit using ILM protocols.
- Utilize a non-destructive workflow and automated processes to quickly set up files and quickly acknowledge critique in order to meet aggressive deadlines.
- Reference VFX shots from the pertinent show and notes from the VFX Supervisor and Art Director to maintain the right look and feel of art assets.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum 6 (six) years of digital photo retouching experience using Adobe Photoshop at an agency, design studio, or commercial photo studio in a production environment. Degree in the visual arts is a plus.
- Ability to use Photoshop at an expert level. Mastery of masking, pathing, color space, deep understanding of lighting, blending layer function, smart object utilization, creation and use of Actions; thorough command of adjustment layers, color and alpha channels, sound layer organization skills within the image file structure, and all other attendant functions of Photoshop at the highest level.
- Experience in Nuke, Maya, After Effects, and/or Modo experience is a plus.
- Ability to work with computer-generated images; knowledge and use of AOV (render outputs) is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast paced deadline-oriented environment, independently and as part of a team with a positive, can-do work ethic.
- Good communication skills.
- Experience with Linux a plus.
- Illustration experience a plus.
*Remote and/or In-Person work will be required in alignment with Federal, State, and Local regulations.*
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.