ILMxLAB Systems Designer (Experience Designer)
*Remote Work Option Available*
The Systems Designer is a key member of ILMxLAB’s Experience Design team that creates, iterates, and balances game systems, mechanics, and content. We are looking for a designer who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, and passion for great storytelling that define ILM and ILMxLAB.
What you’ll do
- Partner with the Supervisors, Designers, Engineers, Artists, Producers, and Animators to create, iterate, and balance world-class game mechanics and systems.
- Research subject matter relating to design goals to ensure an authentic experience
- Implement systems and content that leverages the capabilities of existing systems.
- Create and maintain design documents and systems specifications for games with an eye toward systems design.
- Contribute to tools and workflow development, highlighting bottlenecks, or suggesting areas where tools could improve efficiency and/or quality of life.
- Playtest and provide regular feedback to other designers with the systems design lens.
- Be a proactive self-starter that can execute high-level direction without supervision.
- Routinely collect feedback from user-testing, the development team, and design management to continually tune and refine gameplay.
What we’re looking for
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in math, economics, computer science, engineering, game design, or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years of professional experience as a game designer with at least 1 shipped title in a systems designer role.
- Proficient with game engines such as Unreal Engine 4, Frostbite, Unity, or equivalent
- Knowledgeable of game development tools and workflow optimization
- Problem-solver who is able to deconstruct gameplay design down to its core in order to create elegant, reusable systems.
- Excellent communicator who can articulate and document systems so the team can benefit.
- Experience writing game design documents or specs and tuning particular game systems such as player progression or game wide economies.
- Must have the ability to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule
- Demonstrable organized approach to problem solving and time-management to meet strict production deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of game design theory as well as current industry trends with a focus on creating innovative, immersive experiences.
- Experience scripting/programming in Blueprints, Lua, Python, C++, etc.
- Bonus points for previous experience working on Virtual Reality, Mixed Reality, and/or location-based, interactive experiences.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.