Associate Pipeline Technical Director
The Pipeline TD develops and maintains software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency. Receives day-to-day direction and priorities from show CG Supervisor; reports to Studio Technology Director/Supervisor for technical guidance and oversight.
- Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors. Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
- Provide front-line production assistance across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving. Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to appropriate engineering team.
- Gather information about artist problems and obstacles; resolve user errors; guide artists with deeper problems to appropriate technical team.
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems.
- Act as an on-call resource for show production staff.
- When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency.
- Take direction from show supervisors to determine day-to-day and hour-to-hour priorities.
- Work primarily on workflow tools, requiring introductory knowledge of the larger pipeline
- Develop basic knowledge of software, systems, and standards and conventions used in production.
- Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in a computer graphics environment.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Proficiency in Linux
- Strong Python scripting required
- Knowledge of visual effects or feature animation pipeline
- 2D/3D CG software applications: Maya, Mari, Houdini, Katana, Nuke, RenderMan, etc.
- Experience with production database systems
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.