Located in Vancouver, BC, the Systems Administrator helps oversee the installation, configuration, maintenance, and support of IT core services and resources, including software and hardware, both on-premises and in the cloud.
This position responds in a timely manner to resolve daily issues and support tickets. As part of this, the Systems Administrator communicates with other engineering teams as well as the wider user base across departments and global business units.
As well as drawing on traditional IT methods and tools, the role is well suited for someone with a cross-disciplinary mindset and DevOps-style approach.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support and administrate virtual and bare-metal infrastructure and associated services following company standards, best practices, and project objectives.
- Serve as an escalation point for other IT and peer teams
- Help to maintain and implement effective service monitoring, maintenance programs, and foundational system design with a global perspective.
- Work with other IT and peer teams to ensure standards and technologies are in line with overall technical direction and security posture of Lucasfilm and its companies.
- Maintain documentation and processes around key IT services in the organization.
- Provide excellent customer service support, including clear verbal and written communications.
- Participate in the activities of the global IT team, including development, support activities, and regular status and planning meetings.
- Collaborate closely with IT, Core-Pipe, IS, R&D, and Security teams globally.
- Proactively maintain and expand working knowledge of industry trends and technical developments in related areas.
- Be available via mobile phone to participate in team on-call rotations during work and non-work hours.
Reports to the Manager, Technology Systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent degree or professional experience in a technical discipline.
- 1-3 years of experience in IT related or other technical discipline, building and supporting IT systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
- A clear and concise communicator, with the ability to keep both users and managers informed of progress.
- An effective listener: able to engage with and understand others to discover what their requirements are.
- An effective team player with an ability to focus on resolving problems.
- Must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path is not clear.
- Strong customer service attitude and skills - passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through.
- Agile, flexible mindset with the ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
- Detail oriented.
Required Technical Skills
- Administration of enterprise IT services and resources including user accounts, email and calendars, printing, patching and software updates, systems builds, systems configurations, licenses, network and storage - running on-premises or in the cloud.
- Ability to automate workflows and extending services via scripting - bash/shell, Python, PowerShell or other language.
- Support and administration of cloud collaboration services such as GSuite or equivalent platform including working with associated APIs.
- Working with VMWare stack or other equivalent virtualization platform in an enterprise environment, including hardware and software configuration, provisioning, orchestration and monitoring.
- Methodically troubleshooting and evaluating performance and service issues, including tracing and analyzing logs and metrics for hardware and software components of complex and dynamic systems.
- Administering and supporting a heterogeneous OS environment incl. Linux, Windows and Mac OS for both server and desktop.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about enterprise IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
- Excellent documentation skills, including writing for both technical and non-technical audience.
- Passion for creating and supporting distributed scalable systems that are fault tolerant and reliable.
- Project management
- Storage protocols and administration
- Network protocols and administration
- Server builds and configuration management
- Cloud-native technology, tools and frameworks
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.