Working under the direction of the Producer and the VFX Supervisor, the CG Supervisor ensures all delivered shots maintain the group’s rigorous technical standards and assist with the creative vision of the Director by directing the artists’ work, technical skills, organization and communication.
- Crewed to a show (or multiple smaller shows when needed) and owns all decisions related to that show's technical development and implementation requirements including workflow, tool and pipeline decisions.
- Serves as final decision-maker on all technical issues that span multiple artist disciplines (for example, makes the call on the most appropriate workflow between different disciplines when consensus cannot be reached).
- Owns show approach plan and partners with key supervisors across all ILM global locations for specifics on show planning, delivery, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring technical implementation will work across all ILM locations, taking into account issues like licenses, machine specs, file sharing and other issues that may differ between locations.
- Responsible for show-specific forecasting of license, machine, render and storage needs throughout show schedule.
- Partners with appropriate studio reps across ILM global locations to provide show projections for larger, studio-wide assessments and reports.
- Directly oversees new, facility approved, show-specific workflow and technology innovations. May perform or delegate the 'product owner' role for new technology on the show, however remains ultimately accountable for success of those efforts.
- Ensures show approach decisions are consistent with the facility canonical pipeline goals and that new technology developed on the show meets the show's needs. Ensures those efforts are visible to R&D, P.E., IT and the CG Technology Supervisors.
- Partners with CG Technology Supervisors and R&D, PE and IT supervisors on canonical issues and priorities related to show needs.
- Communicates proactively and consistently across show and studio about show technical priorities, requirements and concerns, in particular to show producer and VFX supervisor, CG technology supervisor leadership team and within weekly CG Supervisor meeting.
- Flags and communicates the need for any show decisions which create divergence in canonical asset management tools and workflow (i.e. any changes to core, facility naming conventions, shotfile structure, choice of software, etc...)
- Collaborates with outsource vendors and other ILM production partners on all shot and data sharing issues including file formats and standardization, colour space issues, etc. related to show
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Strong working knowledge of Linux, Python and shell scripting required.
- Strong awareness of deadlines.
- Demonstrates ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism by asking good questions to confirm clear interpretation of the directions and how to approach what needs to be done. Once clear, implements the requested changes immediately and raises flags right away.
- Demonstrates the ability to engage in the creative process without ego, and accepts all final decisions with a positive and encouraging attitude.
- Demonstrates an excellent eye toward anticipating potential problems and knowing exactly what could look better in one’s shot and an excellent knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
- Demonstrates superb problem solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion.
- Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior level artists and lead others on huge shots or small sequences.
- Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar of for speed, quality of work and adaptability.
- Conversant in many of the ILM methodologies.
Preferred Skills / Technical Competencies
- Look dev and/or shader writing a plus, layout and matchmove a plus.
- Technical Skills: Familiar with Maya, Katana, Zeno and Nuke.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics (or equiv experience) with at least 5+ years hands-on production experience.
- Significant post production experience including experience working as a CG Supervisor
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.