Creature Technical Director
Creature technical directors are responsible for setting up and running flesh-surface, hair, cloth, rigid body simulations as well as able to wrangle rigging and creature pipeline issues proficiently under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
- Set up and run proprietary cloth, hair, flesh surfaces and rigid body simulations
- Hero-creature enveloping using a combination of commercial software packages and proprietary tools
- Run flesh-volume simulations
- Wrangle creature rigging issues for artists in other disciplines
- Mentor entry level artists
- Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in various software packages
- Create dynamic simulations in packages such as Maya/XSI
- Wrangle creature pipeline issues for artists in other disciplines, such as:
- MOCAP data re-targeting in XSI/Maya;
- Act as wrangler for a creature and/or a specific technique used across multiple creatures
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation required
- At least 3 years work experience required in 3D CGI for digital animation, visual effects or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media
- At least 3 years work experience as a Maya rigger in digital animation, visual effects, games, commercials or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media
Required Skills / Competencies
- Positive attitude and a team player.
- Passion for the work.
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge of anatomy and enveloping.
Required Technical Skills
- Sufficient knowledge of Maya rigging techniques to optimize the performance of rigs.
- Proficiency with Linux is required.
- Expertise with Maya is required.
- Experience with Python scripting.
- Feature Film experience is required.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.