ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a VFX Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The VFX Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the ILM Sydney artists group, ensuring work is created to the quality and standards requested by the client and the ILM Sydney Producer, addressing technical issues, and identifying best practices and approaches as needed.
- Partner with producers and studio creative director to ensure the portfolio of work on all projects is accomplished efficiently, to the required quality standards, and within the schedule.
- Collaborate closely with the ILM VFX Supervisors across studios to ensure that all work that comes through ILM Sydney meets client specifications
- Runs dailies, give crew direction on shots and assets, aesthetic direction and feedback
- Develops methodology and approach to show, including how to get work completed efficiently and within show budget
- Lead the crew, provide mentoring, individual training and professional guidance as needed.
- Develop knowledge of the individual skills sets of VFX artists.
- Participate in show and annual performance reviews for the VFX artists.
- Work collaboratively with Producers and recruiting to confirm ongoing recruitment requirements including participation in reel reviews, interviewing, and recruitment outreach (as needed).
- Serves as a mentor within the studio and partners with Talent Management, Production and Training to develop training and guide artists overall professional development
- Represent ILM professionally and positively both within and outside the industry
- Aware of the impact creative decisions have on a show's schedule & budget, and be willing to change the creative choices, when possible, to stay on schedule budget.
- Maintain a high level of proficiency in current tools and methodologies - both proprietary and 3rd party applications available on the market.
- Partner with the Director of Production Technology, tech team leads, R&D and show supervisors to determine and advise on the optimum technical approach for any given project, both for immediate show needs and long term strategy.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- A demonstrable blend of technical and artistic skills, preferably with experience as a Technical Director or Digital Artist.
- Reel demonstrating robust high end Feature Film VFX experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Fine Art, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Shake, Nuke, or proprietary equivalent.
- Experience with Maya, 3dsMax, XSI, or proprietary equivalent.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop.
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Lighting, Compositing, Digital Matte Painting, Texturing and Modeling.
Education / Experience
- Proven track record of successfully working in a supervisory capacity on several major productions (5+ years).
- 10+ years hands-on digital production experience.