Working under the direction of the Producer and VFX Supervisor, the CG Supervisor ensures all delivered shots on a show maintains the groups rigorous technical standards and supports the creative vision of the Director by ensuring the pipeline is effective to deliver show requirements through partnering with discipline supervisors and artists.
- Crewed to a show (or multiple smaller shows when needed) and owns all decisions related to that show's technical development and implementation requirements including workflow, tool and pipeline decisions.
- Serves as final decision-maker on all technical issues that span multiple artist disciplines (for example, makes the call on the most appropriate workflow between different disciplines when consensus cannot be reached).
- Owns show approach plan and partners with key supervisors across all ILM global locations for specifics on show planning, delivery, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring technical implementation will work across all ILM locations, taking into account issues like licenses, machine specs, file sharing and other issues that may differ between locations.
- Responsible for show-specific forecasting of license, machine, render and storage needs throughout show schedule.
- Partners with appropriate studio reps across ILM global locations to provide show projections for larger, studio-wide assessments and reports.
- Directly oversees new, facility approved, show-specific workflow and technology innovations. May perform or delegate the 'product owner' role for new technology on the show, however remains ultimately responsible for success of those efforts.
- Ensures show approach decisions are consistent with the facility canonical pipeline goals and that new technology developed on the show meets the show's needs. Ensures those efforts are visible to R&D, P.E., IT and the CG Technology Supervisors.
- Partners with CG Technology Supervisors and R&D, PE and IT supervisors on canonical issues and priorities related to show needs.
- Communicates proactively and consistently across show and studio about show technical priorities, requirements and concerns, in particular to show producer and VFX supervisor, CG technology supervisor leadership team and within weekly CG Supervisor meeting.
- Flags and communicates the need for any show decisions which create divergence in canonical asset management tools and workflow (i.e. any changes to core, facility naming conventions, shotfile structure, choice of software, etc...)
- Collaborates with outsource vendors and other ILM production partners on all shot and data sharing issues including file formats and standardization, colour space issues, etc. related to show.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics
- Significant post production experience including experience working as a CG Supervisor
- Excellent knowledge of the pipeline (both proprietary and 3rd party)
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Displays exceptional developmental skills along with the talent and desire to continually restructure and enhance the production pipeline.
- Expert knowledge of Linux, python and shell scripts and working knowledge of applicable software platforms.
- Experienced knowledge of Maya and Nuke
- Understanding of Aces CG/OCIO Colour pipeline workflow
- Proven ability in setting standards for all technical directors in continually raising the bar for speed, quality of work and adaptability.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with energy and enthusiasm within a team environment and with minimal supervision.
- A self-starter with the proven ability to initiate and complete new projects.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, work with diverse personalities and work within strict deadlines.
- Must possess a keen eye for aesthetic detail and the ability to effectively communicate with both the creative and production staff.
- Has superb problem solving skills and takes initiatives to offer ideas and suggestions
- Ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.