Senior Digital Paint Artist
The Senior Digital Paint Artist restores background plates and creates digital articulate mattes.
- Demonstrates a strong eye for color and grain structures with the ability to match saturation, hues and black points from multiple sources to create a cohesive final montage.
- Able to break shots down into individual components with little supervision.
- Easily assimilates feedback given by supervisors.
- Researches appropriate references including continuity with like shots. Proactively shares this information with team.
- Demonstrates a keen eye for recognizing paint artifacts, sharpness and color issues.
- Able to handle complex shots with heavy motion blur, lots of layers, etc.
- Ability to use a combination of techniques when dealing with tricky wire removals and clean plates.
- Demonstrates a basic ability to do “paint on comp” work to a high level of quality.
- Working knowledge of color correction and Grain pipeline in Nuke.
- Ability to use layout and DM cameras in Nuke.
- Ability to export track points between multiple toolsets.
- Working knowledge of stereo compositing pipeline.
- Demonstrates excellent trouble shooting skills.
- Takes ownership and responsibility of shot. Proactively offers options and finds own solutions for production problems.
- Actively works across departments in shot groups. Provides updates to production and other artists on shot progress.
Education / Experience
- At least 5 years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least seven years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Experience with Silhouette and Nuke
- Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
- Must have an understanding how their work fits into the pipeline and it’s effect on upstream and downstream departments.
- Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.