Junior Generalist (TV)
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, the Junior Generalists demonstrate a strong base of knowledge in 3D Computer Generated Imagery creation. They must display proficiency and a varied skill level across most of the areas of model, texture, shading/look development, basic hard surface animation and FX simulation as well as the ability to composite their own work. They work both individually and together with a team, with tasks ranging from completing everything on a small number of shots to working on specific tasks within a larger body of work. Their work is subject to close supervisory review at frequent intervals. Candidates will be considered if they demonstrate themselves to be exceptional in only one area, as long as they have some experience in all others and are willing to learn.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Day-to-day show support
- Responsible for escalation of tech issues to appropriate show or tech group
- Communicates shot status to Production and Supervisor. Follows through on specific artistic direction
- Produces work under tight deadlines
- Potential need to work across multiple projects/productions at any given time
- Produces entry level shot work, which might include:
- Simple sequence-based lighting/rendering tasks
- Rendering env map/360 spheres for TDs to render against
- Basic model and texture tweaks.
- HDRI environment map stitching and organization
- Check files and scenes from outsource vendors for consistency
- Write documentation of processes and workflows
- Tuning renders for shot efficiency
- Works with the show/department Tech lead to test software
- Updating and organizing Generalist-specific libraries
Reports to the Senior Production Manager and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Generalist Supervisor.
- At least 2 years of relevant VFX experience and at least a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Traditional Animation; OR at least 3 years of relevant professional VFX experience
- Proven track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres
- Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing. Is expected to have some entry level knowledge of MAX/Maya modelling tools and some Photoshop/Mari texturing painting skill.
- Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
- Demo reel required
- Strong English communication skills
- 0 – 2+ years feature film or television experience preferred
- Fluent in Photoshop
- Fluent in 3DS Max, Maya or similar
- Fluent in Vray, Renderman, or similar ray trace renderer
- Comparable software experience considered
- Strong artistic skills
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.