ILMxLAB Senior Environment Artist
We are looking for an artist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, inclusive mindset and passion for great storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
Environment Artists are key members of the highly skilled, creative team at ILMxLAB who work closely with Art and Creative Directors to create stunning, performant real-time environments that are fundamental to the player experience. Your mission is to build immersive, high fidelity worlds for cutting-edge XR technologies using the industry’s most exciting IP.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual fidelity and artistic innovation
- Work closely with the design leads to conceptualize, model, dress and light real-time worlds based on related concept art and photographic reference for franchise / IP
- Work with engineering leads & technical artists to establish and maintain performance and memory budget streaming requirements and other run-time requirements
- Establish a thorough understanding of the existing tools and pipelines; experiment / champion opportunities for improvement
- Define and act as a key customer for new technology investments and art pipeline development
- Able to generate art task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary
- Actively participate in the QA process to identify and fix bugs
- Supervision of junior and mid-level artists, as required
What We’re Looking For
- 5-7+ years of professional experience in game development with two or more shipped titles (or equivalent)
- Extensive experience designing, modelling, and texturing 3D assets using Maya and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D/2D programs)
- Deep knowledge and experience using Unreal Engine 4 (or equivalent game engine), including terrain / landscape editing, level streaming set-up and implementation
- Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modelling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps of different material types
- Strong paint skills, multi-layered materials and effective texture layout
- Advanced abilities in Z-Brush or Mud Box
- Strong understanding of PBR workflow, materials and lighting.
- Ability to switch between a wide range of styles
- Collaborative, team-player attitude: open & receptive to new ideas, constructive criticism, direction and changes
- Bonus points for:
- Passion for game development, and working in VR or AR
- Experience with Substance Designer / Painter, Mari, WorldMachine, Quixel
- Experience working with photogrammetry
- Experience with Unity, FrostEd, Hammer, Radiant or other level design / editor tools
- Outsourcing/Vendor management experience
- Previous experience as a lead on a project
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all artist applications*
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.