Senior Virtual Production Technical Director
This position provides technical support to the Virtual Production department, with principle responsibilities on ILM realtime projects, the acquisition of live performance capture data and translating creative direction into a virtual production. The role holder will work closely with all relevant departments to ensure data is interpreted faithfully and efficiently throughout the ILM VFX pipeline as well as development teams to advance the state of real-time rendered productions, striving for highest possible visual fidelity.
- Collaborate with VFX and Virtual Production Supervisors to understand client needs and requests for upcoming projects
- Creation and optimisation of scenes and assets for realtime visualisation
- Overseeing the running and operational elements of realtime shoots
- Testing and providing feedback to R&D on new features and tools
- Capture of data: ensuring the quality of data is of the highest standard combining traditional and virtual workflows
- Post processing: provide deliverables from Virtual Production (Performance Capture, Medusa scanning, Crowd data, on set reference and photography, etc)
- Assisting with Virtual Production location shoots and on set VFX data acquisition
- Prep or assist in motion capture shoot sessions (casting, choreography, motion list, direction, etc)
- Contribute to the development of technology to service show needs and requirements, collaborating with engineering to create realtime engine roadmap.
Education / Experience
- Previous experience within a VFX or similar digital production facility
Required Skills / Competencies
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of realtime systems with a desire to further develop the skills required becoming proficient in the role
- Realtime art content creation, profiling and optimization.
- In depth knowledge of Motion Capture and Layout
- Confident with realtime workflows, performance capture, and virtual camera sets
- Good understanding of realtime engine texturing, lighting and shading
- Proficiency in managing data in both Linux and Windows environments
- An understanding of scripting within a software package would be advantageous
- Motion Capture experience - prep, setup, shoot, clean up and editing
- Understanding of compiling shot layouts and integrating capture data into shot plates
- Adaptable, willing to learn new processes and technical skills with an enthusiasm for new ideas, tools and platforms.
- Passion for making and playing innovative, quality experiences.
- Expertise in use of DCC editors, scripting/programming and 3D tools.
- Working in Maya and Unreal Engine, as well as Vicon camera calibration
- Excellent creativity and demonstrated ability to generate innovative concepts, mechanics, and ideas.
- Ability to work on set locations
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to learn new tasks and facilities quickly
- Ability to work to deadlines and maintain a pleasant and professional attitude
Desired Skills / Experience
- Experience with Animation and Motion Editing
- Familiarity with 3D modeling packages such as Maya
- Experience with realtime engine
- C++ / Python knowledge
- VFX production / pipeline experience
- UI development experience
- Support documentation writing
- Experience or interest in the creation of VR & AR experiences
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.