Senior Compositor (2020 Start)
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Senior Compositor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Senior Compositor combines live action and computer generated elements into visual effects shots that realize the vision and creative direction of the client and Visual Effects Supervisor. The compositor is ultimately responsible for the aesthetic integrity and technical quality of the final image delivered to the client.
- Work with the Compositing Supervisor and Visual Effects Supervisor to evaluate the creative and technical approach for assigned shots
- Perform all tasks associated with the compositing process, including 2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements, and color grading on difficult shots
- Maintain the overall look, color balance, and quality for assigned shots and sequences to create uniformity in all finished work
- Create generic looks for other artists to apply
- Work collaboratively with artists from other disciplines
- Independently provide solutions to technical and aesthetic problems with minimal direction, and can handle the most difficult tasks under intense time pressure
- Required Skills / Technical Competencies:
- Strong knowledge of Nuke
- Strong aesthetic skills in judging photo-realism and color
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong sense of composition, color and design
- Can quickly learn new software and techniques
- Familiarity with using Linux systems preferred.
- Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins is a plus
- Python and/or C++ experience a plus
Education / Experience
- At least 5 years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least 7 years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education
- Previous experience in look development and sequence supervision is ideal.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- The ideal candidate has strong fine arts foundation skills, such as photography and photographic lighting
- Strong communication skills preferred.