The Creature Supervisor is the primary technical/aesthetics resource within the department. They supervise shows by working closely with the VFX Supervisor and Producer on meeting show Creature needs.
The Creature Supervisor should be experienced and passionate about building photo-realistic creatures, have experience in leading/mentoring teams, and understanding in all aspects of Creature TD work. The Creature Supervisor partners with other departments to ensure the smooth pipeline and workflow of creature work.
- Supervising/mentoring creature team and identifying talent/performance within the team to meet show/department needs. Skills development and training.
- Participates in turnover meetings, asset breakdowns, and bidding/re-bidding over the course of the show.
- Ensuring the creature team/show meets the shows requirements; determines the technical and aesthetics approaches to hit targets on time while monitoring show/shot progress.
- Highly proficient in body/facial rigging. Working experience with in-house proprietary modular rigging systems as well as off the shelf Maya rigging tools
- Deep understanding in anatomy and muscle dynamics. Good eye for aesthetics of body/face deformations
- Highly proficient in cloth/hair/flesh/rigid body simulations, Setting up, running, and troubleshooting proprietary cloth, hair, flesh surfaces, and fur/feather simulations. Experience with lookdev of simulated motions. Plus point if he/she has experience in both proprietary simulation engines as well as off the shelf software packages (Maya/Houdini).
- Responsible for defining animation controls and rigging puppets to be used by other departments, such as Animation.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
- Shows demonstrable strengths in most technical areas, i.e. shader writing, shell scripting, as well as a
- well-developed “eye with aesthetic judgment
- 5 years minimum experience as a Lead Technical Director with leadership responsibilities.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Excellent communications skills and leadership qualities. Professional manner in a pressured environment.
- Meticulous and methodical work habits
- Must be able to work in a team environment and have strong leadership skills, including communication and ability to delegate
- Drive for results
- Plan well and manage priorities
- Stay agile and flexible
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Think analytically and innovatively
- Always curious and seek for new learning opportunities
Required Technical Skills
- Thorough understanding of UNIX, shell scripting, Renderman or other procedural shading language
- Highly proficient in Linux, Python, Maya
- Plus point if experienced in C++, specifically Maya plugin development