Paint & Roto Artist
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Paint & Roto Artist to join our team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
A Paint & Rotoscope Artist has two principal responsibilities: the creation of accurate mattes to extract specific elements from shot plates; and the removal of unwanted elements (such as wires, rigs or tracking markers) from shot plates.
- Actively modifies and removes isolated elements for digitally composited sequences with both procedural and hand painting methods.
- Creates digital articulate mattes and performs plate clean-up.
- Modifies and removes isolated elements for digitally composited sequences.
- Creates digital articulate mattes with computer-aided drawing tools to detail and precision while performing repetitive tasks.
- Performs plate clean up; removes unwanted artifacts and composites said artifacts with a clean plate created by the artist using tracking software and scripting. Frame by frame handwork when necessary.
- Paints final comps before film-out to resolve last minute problems.
- Performs background repair and wire removal.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of rotoscoping and how to make shapes animate.
- Develops 2D animation skills.
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of digital articulate mattes.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Drawing, Animation or equivalent artistic background and education required.
- Proven production experience in computer graphics, animation or video.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Experience with 2D image processing, Harry, Henry, Matador, or Macintosh software or other similar systems.
- Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
- Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.