ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lead Compositor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The compositor combines live action and computer generated elements into visual effects shots that realize the vision and creative direction of the client and Visual Effects Supervisor. The compositor is ultimately responsible for the aesthetic integrity and technical quality of the final image delivered to the client.
- Work with the Compositing Supervisor and Visual Effects Supervisor to evaluate the creative and technical approach for assigned shots.
- Point person for either a sequence of shots, or defining a “look” being developed,
- Perform all tasks associated with the compositing process, including 2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements, and color grading on difficult shots.
- Maintain the overall look, color balance, and quality for assigned shots and sequences to create uniformity in all finished work.
- Create generic looks for other artists to apply.
- Work collaboratively with artists from other disciplines.
- Independently provide solutions to technical and aesthetic problems, with minimal direction, and can handle the most difficult tasks under intense time pressure.
Education / Experience
- Minimum of 5 yrs of compositing experience in a feature film or commercial production environment.
- Previous experience in look development and sequence supervision ideal.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Strong knowledge of Nuke.
- Strong aesthetic skills in judging photo-realism and color.
- Strong communication skills.
- Can quickly learn new software and techniques.
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure to meet deadlines, and with minimal supervision.
- Strong sense of composition, color and design.
- Familiarity with using Linux systems
- Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins a plus.
- Python and/or C++ experience a plus.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Ideal candidate has strong fine arts foundation skills, such as photography and photographic lighting.