Senior Concept Artist
The Senior Concept Artist creates concept art for visual effects in feature films and television. Works as part of a team of artists executing CG and traditional artwork, helping create artwork that adheres to a specific design or “look” of a show.
- Creation of conceptual artwork that illustrates various stories and scripts
- Understand and action briefs from clients and supervisors
- Able to break brief down into individual components with little supervision
- Demonstrates a strong eye for colour, composition, perspective and lighting
- Demonstrates a high level ability to work on pre-production development work as well as VFX concept art
- Takes ownership and responsibility of a shot or brief, proactively offers options and finds solutions for production problems
- Liaise with art department leadership to ensure highest quality of work is delivered
- Ensures work is done according to specifications outlined by the Director/Key Creative team of a show
- Implements any changes and incorporates feedback from Art Directors into artwork
- Organising day-to-day activities and managing time to ensure deadlines are met
- Actively participates in dailies and transmissions
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or significant experience in producing Concept Art for VFX/Feature films.
- Experience or knowledge of cinematic techniques, language and shot composition
- Portfolio required.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Developed “eye” and strong aesthetic
- Demonstrate the ability to go from quick sketches all the way through to photoreal.
- Proven experience creating feature film quality environments, hard surface, and creature design, matte paintings, shot elements, storyboards
- Ability to work closely with Art Department leadership and within a production environment
- Ability to work under pressure while implementing changes based on input from multiple sources
- Strong understanding how their work fits into the pipeline and it’s affect on upstream and downstream departments
Required Technical Skills
- Proficiency in design software required
- Ability to work in both 2D and 3D (eg. Photoshop, Maya, Blender, Zbrush, 3D-Coat, Keyshot, Octane)
- Ability to assemble research and reference material that will be influential to clients and design team