Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, the generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Create original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
- Create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback
- Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of senior level artists and Generalist Supervisors, dials in the look of the element before handing to final comp
- Participates in team reviews of work under development
- Mentors Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
- Meets defined milestones within a timeline by attending dailies and participating in creative problem solving
- Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development
- Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently
- Sources suitable reference materials for required assets
- Special projects as needed
Reports to the Senior Production Manager, Generalist and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Generalist Supervisor.
- At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience.
- Proven track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres
- Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing; OR,
- Proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
- Demo reel required
- High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
- Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques
- Fluent in Photoshop
- Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
- Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
- Comparable software experience considered
- Demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
- Strong knowledge and ability in perspective, value matching 35mm photography, physics of light and motion
- Understanding 2D compositing software
- Good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.