Virtual Art Department Artist
We are looking for a self-motivated artist who reflects the innovative spirit and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Virtual Art Department (VAD) bridges the gap between Production Design and VFX. The VAD Artist works within the Production Art Department team to create Real Time environments and assets for Virtual Production scouts.
What You’ll Do
- Create 3D Real Time assets (by doing model/texture, basic lighting) to realize the 3d environment build
- Create blocking geometry for initial environment block out
- Create props and environments
- Process and cleanup photogrammetry assets
- Tune assets and environments to be performance-optimized for scouting
- Communicate status to Production and VAD Supervisor. Follow through on specific artistic direction
- Participate as a team member in providing various aesthetic solutions; provide feedback to other members of the team by attending dailies on a regular basis
- Mentor Apprentice and Jr. Artists and assist them with their shots
- Work to meet defined milestones within a timeline
What We’re Looking For
- A strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, or digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes and interiors
- Experience using a Real Time engine like Unreal or Unity
- A demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
- A Bachelor’s Degree OR 2-5 years relevant experience (professional OR amateur)
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, matte painting or compositing OR proven artistic ability in a non-CG field
- A person who exhibits strong teamwork, excellent communication and interdisciplinary thinking
- Demonstrated knowledge in some or all of these software packages: Photoshop, 3DsMax, Maya, Perforce and 3D paint programs like Substance Painter. Comparable software experience considered.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.