Lead Layout Artist
The Lead Layout Artist works as a “digital camera operator” to create camera compositions and determine rough character timing to pre-visualize shots and provide a clear sense of action for the Animation, FX and Lighting departments.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for overseeing the creation of a 3D version of the story reel. It also supervises the Layout crew to execute the layout of shots.
- Works under the guidance and direction of the Digital Layout Supervisor.
- Coaches and guides the Layout teams to execute quality performance for the film.
- Guides the Layout Artists working on shots in the assigned sequence to ensure that the Digital Layout Supervisor’s direction is realized in addition to working on their own shots.
- Responsible for guiding Layout Artists in the creation of rough models and environments for pre-visualisation.
- Assist the Digital Layout Supervisor with the technical set up of their assigned sequences, troubleshoot any problems on their shots, and are responsible for continuity and flow within and between shots.
- May work as the team leader/supervisor on the technical aspects of Layout.
- Provides mentoring and training as needed.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or previous experience in a related field preferred.
- Full portfolio demonstrating high-level Layout and Matchmove skills and breadth of subject matter.
- Knowledge of cinematic techniques, language and shot composition.
- Expert knowledge of UNIX, Softimage, Maya and/or XSI.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Ability to work under pressure in addition to implementing changes based on input from multiple sources.
- Experience in Film and or Film production essential.
- Knowledge of Macintosh computer systems including word processing, Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop especially helpful.
- A keen eye for detail.
- Ability to work within strict deadlines.
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.