Pipeline Technical Director, Level I
The Pipeline TD is responsible for developing and maintaining software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency.
- Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors.
- Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
- Provide front-line production support across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving. Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to appropriate engineering team.
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems.
- Act as an on-call resource for show production staff, primarily for complex, urgent problems.
- Collaborate effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff across ILM studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, Singapore, and London.
- When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline.
- Identify day-to- day priorities in conjunction with show supervisors; act autonomously.
- Work primarily on tools of a high degree of complexity, requiring broad understanding of the larger pipeline.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of software and systems; contribute to evolving standards and conventions used in production.
- Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made.
- Reports to the Talent Manager, Pipeline and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG Supervisor.
Education / Experience
- 3-5 years relevant professional experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television and a BA in computer science, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Proficiency in Linux
- Advanced Python scripting required
- Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Katana, RenderMan or similar
- Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
- Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient trouble shooter.
- Thorough understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling and texturing, animation, rendering and compositing
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Experience with production database systems
- Experience with C, C++
- Experience with Windows development and applications such as 3ds max a plus.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.