R&D Engineer - Creature Team
We are looking for engineers for our Creatures R&D team, to help develop software that brings to life photo-realistic digital characters for major motion pictures.
We’re looking for engineers with experience in creature body and facial rigging and animation, artist-controllable geometric deformation, soft-body dynamic simulation, procedural modeling, and 3D asset management. We need people with strong backgrounds in software engineering, a keen interest in making production-worthy tools for artists, and a knack for simplifying complex processes.
What You’ll Do
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney
- Design innovative algorithms, artist-friendly user interfaces, template-based asset management systems, and automated batch processes that scale to high volume visual effects production; design systems that simplify complex creature setup and shot simulation processes
- Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline
- Work within and extend and assist ILM’s proprietary software systems
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production assistance
What We’re Looking For
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in professional software development and/or VFX production
- An intuitive comprehension of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment
- Collaboration: a readiness to rely on others, be dependable, and play nice
- Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to be outspoken, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues
- Empathy: an ability to listen intently and interpret artists’ needs
- Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
- Expert knowledge of programming in Python and/or C++ on Linux
- Thorough knowledge of technology related to creature modeling, animation, and simulation: rigging, geometric deformation and caching, physically-based soft-body simulation, procedural geometry, etc.
- Experience with Maya, as both a user and developer
- Experience designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
- Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.