VFX Art Director - Expression of Interest
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
The Visual Effects Art Director is responsible for visually interpreting ideas communicated by the Director and Key Creatives on a film, episodic or venue project with traditional concept art, storyboards, or 3D designs.
We are looking for a creative who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, team-oriented mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
What You'll Do
On any given day, you may partner with Global Art Department teams and Art Department Management and Production Staff to:
- Design a robot or a planet for a Director, VFX Supervisor or Production Designer.
- Provide conceptual paintovers and look direction for VFX sequences or key shots for client approval.
- Deliver creative direction, mentorship and feedback to a team of concept artists to deliver world class concept designs.
- Partner with CG Department leads and CG artists to ensure consistency of design from inception to final shot delivery.
- Participate in daily reviews with clients.
- Act as front client liaison both from the ILM studio and potentially onset.
- Partner with Production teams on bidding and assessing crewing for design work, with any eye towards growing and developing up and coming diverse talent.
What We're Looking For
- An outstanding and varied aesthetic with the ability to interpret a multitude of creative visions.
- Must possess strong knowledge of visual effects techniques and the lastest conceptual design processes, including photoreal concept development and cinematography.
- Have a strong handle on the latest 3D concept tools and as a bonus some working knowledge of real-time design processes.
- A clear grasp of anatomy and motion of organic and mechanical forms.
- You probably have 7 or more years of experience in conceptual design.
- You have experience managing and mentoring concept artists.
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Film or Design, or you have gained that experience by working in our industry.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.