Senior Systems Engineer
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for the planning, implementation and maintenance of systems that contribute to the smooth running of all technology in Sydney, working as a member of the global ILM Production Systems Operations team.
The role is responsible for developing and maintaining the core services of ILM and it’s divisions globally, ensuring the smooth and efficient deployment and execution of core services for use by other IT, IS, & engineering teams and throughout the user base. They will be active in both development projects and service support. Key to the role is implementing and maintaining hardware, operating system images for Windows and Linux, virtual infrastructure standards, tools and other systems that enable core IT services across the company’s locations globally.
As well as drawing on traditional IT techniques, the team takes advantage of modern DevOps approaches to ensure the availability of IT services that provide the core foundation essential for the smooth operation of our multi-site, award-winning visual effects company.
- Act as a technical lead on key technology projects, ensuring implementations follow best practices and are in line with project objectives.
- Provide internal level 3 support on technologies within IT Operations.
- Drive operational efficiencies of the IT infrastructure to the highest levels, through implementing effective service monitoring, maintenance programs and foundational system design with a global perspective.
- Work closely with other technical groups to ensure that IT standards and technologies are in line with overall technical direction and security posture of ILM.
- Maintain documentation and processes around key IT services in the organization.
- Mentor other Systems Engineers and Administrators to advance their technical knowledge of systems management, automation and DevOps strategies.
- Provide excellent customer service support, including clear verbal and written communications.
- Must be available via mobile pone to participate in team on-call rotations during work and non-work hours.
- Participates in the activities of the globally distributed IT team, including: development and support activities, regular status and planning meetings as time zones permit.
- Collaborate closely with IT, PE, IS and R&D teams globally.
- Ensures the high availability of configuration management and service deployment systems.
- Maintains a working knowledge of industry trends and technical advancements.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience.
- 8-10 years of experience as a professional IT engineer / administrator, preferably in the visual effects or computer animation industries, building and supporting IT systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- A thorough knowledge of industry-specific technologies including high-performance NAS/SAN systems (eg. Isilon, NetApp, 3Par etc.) and distributed rendering/computing technologies.
- Deep understanding of IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
- A working knowledge of networking and security concepts and technologies.
- Extensive Linux system administration experience using mainstream Linux OS.
- Thorough understanding of system performance issues and tuning.
- Proven experience designing, building, automating and running large-scale technical infrastructures in a multi-site, multi-platform environment.
- Experience with configuration management systems eg. Ansible, Salt, CFEngine, etc.
- Experience in the following technology products: Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft SCCM, VMWare, Veeam Backup, Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform.
- Understanding of DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Kerberos, and OAUTH2/SAML2.0 systems.
- A clear and concise communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests.
- An effective listener: able to engage with and understand others to discover what their requirements are.
- A great team player with a proven ability to resolve problems professionally, systematically and with a collaborative approach..
- Time management skills are key - must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear.
- Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks.
- An agile, flexible and quick thinker: this is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
- Detailed oriented, highly organized self-starter, able to multi-task without supervision.
- Strong customer service attitude and skills.
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Knowledge of ITIL framework concepts.
- Familiarity with Blade workstations, Teradici portals etc.
- Understanding of different project management methodologies.
- Experience with containerization systems such as Docker.
- Familiarity with SQL databases, such as Oracle SQL, MS-SQL, PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- OS deployment techniques such as PXE and kickstart.
- Experienced with monitoring technologies such as PRTG, InMon, Zabbix, etc.