ILMxLAB Animation Engineer
*Remote Work Option Available*
From a galaxy far, far away to other globally-beloved universes, ILMxLAB’s body of work spans multiple award-winning experiences in virtual reality, mixed reality, and more. The team is looking for candidates who are interested in creating the next generation of storytelling for the premium immersive entertainment space powered by real-time graphics.
The ILMxLAB team is on a mission to bring the future of entertainment into the here and now. This spectacular fusion of high end graphics and immersive storytelling means creating unparalleled real-time worlds that exponentially raise the bar for consumer experiences. Making a movie or a game is challenging in its own right, but we hope to continue to push beyond any of those confines. That’s literally why we come to work: It is our great fortune to be standing at this crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a collaborative, highly creative, and highly technical work environment.. We are looking for talented and driven creative technologists, artists and designers to join us. Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
Animation Engineers work directly with our world-class animators to bring our experiences to life!
What You'll Do
- Design and implement solutions for animation needs across our projects
- Work directly with the ILMxLAB animation/rigging team to speed up their workflow
- Serve as chief animation problem-solver and experience optimizer with a user-focused perspective.
- Work with Production and project leads on development schedule and design specification, ensure implementation of experience matches design goals for animation needs.
- Make prudent decisions in identifying animation engineering opportunities, flagging issues and proposing solutions to team/studio leadership
- Write polished, optimized, and documented code with an eye towards re-usability for multiple games.
- Build optimized, sustainable and scalable technologies to help solve game-driven animation problems and increase workflow efficiencies.
- Work with Technical Directors/Engineering Leads to implement Blueprints in Unreal
- Actively participate in the QA process to identify, triage and fix bugs and performance issues related to animation
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Computer Science or related discipline
- 4+ years of game development experience as a Gameplay Programmer
- Previous experience working as an Animation Engineer or equivalent experience
- Prior experience with Motion Capture (mocap)
- Knowledge of animation concepts such as:
- Inverse Kinematics
- Physics driven animation
- Root motion
- Layered/additive animation
- Facial animation, including lip sync to audio
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 or 3 and its animation systems
- Extensive experience with C++ programming language, strong understanding of C# and C
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Passionate about making and playing games
- Passionate about immersive experiences.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.