Junior Lighting / Look Development Technical Director (TV)
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, the Junior Lighting TDs work under a sequence lighting lead to make basic lighting and shader tweaks. They may also manage renders and provide them to comp. Work is subject to close supervisory review at frequent intervals. They need to be able to develop enhancements or "fixes" to identified aspects of art / technologies, as well as be able to create shaders and tools for more than one type of 3D character and element. Can tweak monolithic materials, modify and run existing turntables, basic checkins into asset management system for basic CG assets (props, plants, set dressing, traffic, vehicles).
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Day-to-day show support
- Troubleshoot flow of data in/out of department
- Responsible for escalation of tech issues to appropriate show or tech group
- Strong communication and follow-through
- Strong artistic skills; some background in visual arts a plus
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Work with stage team may be required
- Potential need to work across multiple projects/productions at any given time
- Entry level shot work, time permitting, which might include:
- Constructing look-developed objects, effects, elements or characters.
- Lighting simple creatures and rudimentary A over B compositing ability.
- Tweaking monolithic materials, modifying and running existing turntables, and performing basic check-ins into asset management system for basic cg assets (props, plants, set dressing, traffic, vehicles).
- Pre-flight lighting tasks
- Quality control of files and scenes from outsource vendors
- HDRI environment map stitching and organization
- Software testing
- Render tuning
- Simple sequence lighting tasks
- Maintaining/updating templates and generics
Reports to the Senior Production Manager and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Lighting Supervisor.
- At least 2 years of relevant VFX experience and at least a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Traditional Animation; OR at least 3 years of relevant professional VFX experience
- Proven track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres
- Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television
- Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
- Demo reel required.
- 0- 5+ years feature film experience preferred.
- Linux and Python scripting or shader authoring preferred; C++ skills also applicable.
- Basic lighting & look development
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.