Virtual Production Engineer (StageCraft)
Position SummaryThe primary focus of the Virtual Production Engineer is to ensure operational integrity of a complete, on set virtual production system. This includes:
- Maintaining state-of-the-art hardware and software systems
- Providing front-line support to on set operators and artists
- Troubleshooting in a fast-paced, cutting-edge virtual production environment
- Interfacing with other on set technical departments
- Relaying issues to the global Virtual Production Engineering team
- Maintain complex hardware & software solutions to assist in virtual production data acquisition & display on set.
- Provide front-line technical support for virtual production operators, artists, and production staff.
- Troubleshoot complex, on set technical issues, package up problems, and redirect to the global engineering team when required.
- Script on set virtual production tools to meet immediate, production demands.
- Maintain and ensure correct setup of virtual production hardware systems.
- Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
- Update documentation for virtual production hardware or software setup to reflect any on set changes.
- Work as part of the global ILM virtual production team to provide effective virtual production solutions.
- Together with on set virtual production operators, test and validate newly deployed or released hardware or software solutions. Work closely with the global engineering team in testing and releasing new and modified systems.
- When not executing work for a specific on set production, serve on the virtual production engineering team by working on projects that improve the reliability and efficiency of virtual production systems.
- Interface with engineering leads throughout the Lucasfilm companies regarding the state of the on set virtual production systems.
- Communicate effectively with leads and other virtual production team members.
- Troubleshoot storage connectivity
- Lead engineer responsible for Media Systems (Video feeds/signal flow)
- Network and hardware configuration
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field.
- 5 years experience in VFX or similar digital production facility.
- Proficiency with realtime workflows and virtual production technology is desirable.
- On set experience is desirable.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Understanding of A/V signal flow
- Familiar with network topology
- Advanced Linux, Windows and OSX configuration skills
- Experience with signal and/or video hardware systems
- Experience with interfacing external devices via APIs and protocols.
- Experience with virtual reality equipment is desirable.
- Familiar with basic KVM infrastructure
- Experience with networking hardware and protocols is desirable
- Knowledge of storage architectures (SAN / NAS) and connection protocols such as NFS, SMB and CIFS
- Expert knowledge of programming in Python.
- Experience using and scripting for DCC editors and/or 3D tools.
- Experience with C/C++ programming is desirable.
- Ability to troubleshoot under pressure
- Ability to work well with a wide range of personality types.
- Must possess strong communication skills.
- Ability to work extended hours
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.