Lead Effects Technical Director
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lead Effects Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Lead Effects Technical Director is primarily responsible for leading a team of Effects Artists. This role works as a hands-on collaborator with the FX, VFX and CG Supervisor to ensure that all delivered shots maintain ILM’s rigorous standards and support the creative vision of the show.
What you’ll do
- Designs and creates complicated FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems, and rigid body simulations.
- Light and render FX elements and produce composites to showcase ideas
- Develops and implements new techniques quickly and debugs complicated problems
- Sets the standard by continually improving the efficiency, speed, and the quality of the team's output
- Provide constructive and consistent creative and technical oversight and feedback on a shot and sequence level to the team
- Partners with other discipline leadership in determining various cross department solutions, improvements and collaboration.
- Coaches and guides the team of FX artists to execute quality performance for the project.
- Works with Production to bid, schedule, and cast shotwork.
- Responsible for guiding the overall effects and simulations are on a delivered schedule and budget.
- Partners with Talent Management to provide artists with performance feedback, guidance, mentoring, resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew.
- Attends all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team.
What we’re looking for
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
- Expert in Houdini software, and knowledge and experience in Python or Vex
- 10+ year’s production experience, also with experience in a leadership role in film visual effects
- Proficiency with Linux, Unix,
- Produced effects smoke, fire, explosions, water, clouds, steam, particle
- Demonstrable experience of mentoring and developing artists
- Strong communication skills to present to supervisors and mentor the artist team
- Can develop small scale, show specific tools for non-FX TDs and other FX TDs
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.