Media Systems Engineer
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Media Systems Engineer to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Media Systems Engineer position is responsible for front line maintenance of all department related computer and video systems. The Engineer is required to assist the Director with the planning, designing, procurement and implementation of media-related technology systems and also provides systems and procedural support to production and technical staff.
- Provides high-level Avid Media Composer support to studio
- Provides frontline maintenance, troubleshooting and installation of equipment for all technical and operational departments throughout studio
- Achieves and maintains expert knowledge of existing AV, Data, Network and other systems at the facility
- Maintains media server software and associated hardware
- Works with global counterparts and team members to design, install and document new media production systems
- Creates and maintains documentation for systems
- Instructs technical and production staff on proper operation and procedures of media systems
- Partners with key personnel in across departments and divisions regarding current and new technology; attends department and project meetings to gain insight into current and future needs, and provide updates and guidance regarding system capabilities
- Conducts research and evaluation of new technology and trends to assess their impact on current and future projects
- Participates in off-hours maintenance, upgrades and installation for essential systems, and on-call rotations as necessary for smooth operation of studio technology
- Works to ensure best security practices are met and maintained
- Special projects as required
Education / Experience
- Bachelor degree in a related field (Engineering or similar), or equivalent professional experience
- 3-5 years experience
Required Skills / Competencies
- Installation and maintenance experience in post-production facilities with complex audio/video systems
- Solid understanding and practical experience of technology relating to media production and post-production, various media file formats, compression schemes and wrappers, video transport streams, etc.
- Experience with projection technology and applications
- Troubleshooting experience
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced production environment as part of a team
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical staff
- Advanced Linux, Mac OS, Windows configurations skills
- Basic scripting experience with Python or other script languages
- Familiarity with AV networking streaming technology
- Certified or wide-spread experience with media composer software preferred
- SAN and NAS storage management preferred
- Basic to intermediate color theory knowledge and practical application preferred