Position SummaryThe IT Intern will be assisting the IT Department in ensuring that systems and services are ready and operational for production use. The Intern will help with testing new products and technology used by ILM Vancouver’s production departments as part of a larger project team. The Technology Intern will assist with infrastructure audits including planning for and completion of both back- and front-end technology refresh cycles. The successful candidate will contribute to operational improvements within the team, such as developing scripts to automate and solve task- related problems, reviewing existing services and procedures, and reporting on findings to the team.
Primary Responsibilities and AccountabilitiesThe ILM IT team based out of ILM Vancouver’s downtown office, works closely with other Lucasfilm and ILM divisions, including production, corporate and Disney business segments. We deliver a broad range of IT services, either directly or in partnership with other teams, in order to help ensure the delivery of client projects. This includes hardware and software for desktop, network, storage, servers and media systems and much more.
- Build and deploy desktop systems at scale, including Linux, Windows and Mac.
- Provide support to both onsite and remote operations.
- Contribute to daily operational tasks, including managing inventory, resolving support tickets and general troubleshooting.
- Assist as needed with work on systems and infrastructure such as storage, servers and core services both in the cloud and on-premise.
Job Requirements This position is open to anyone with a deep interest in technology and its application to creative and media production, such as visual effects, games, animation, sound or music and would be particularly suitable for someone pursuing a degree in Media, Computer Science or a similar degree.
Education / Experience
Required Skills / Competencies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities is important.
- Good time management skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Competent at working autonomously and in team settings.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Passionate about film and visual effects production and technology.
- The ability to think logically and break complex issues into smaller tasks/steps when troubleshooting.
- Familiar with desktop and server hardware components including repair and basic troubleshooting.
- Experience working with multiple operating systems, including Linux, Windows and Mac.
- Exposure to programming concepts and experience with shell/bash or Python.
- Familiarity with databases, network storage and virtualization technology a plus.
- Sitting is required
- Can lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to perform tasks such as moving, cleaning, packing and unpacking equipment in the studio on a daily basis.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.