Production Engineering Supervisor
The Production Engineering Supervisor will oversee the building of new systems and maintenance of current systems, with an end goal of streamlining the CG pipeline for artist efficiency. Adhering closely to the technology roadmap for global ILM, this person will use hands-on visual effects production experience to maximize our internal pipeline development by creating powerful systems that are easy to use, as well as by selecting tools and workflows that combine the best of off-the-shelf options with our internally developed systems.
What You’ll Do
- Direct team of pipeline engineers in Vancouver and San Francisco. Provide direction and expertise on pipeline development within the framework provided by the Head of CG and Head of Production Technology.
- Maintain highest software development standards across all project and initiatives
- Lead effort to standardize show pipelines, working towards designing a system that is easily maintainable, agile and efficient
- Maintain a high level of proficiency in current tools and methodologies, both proprietary and 3rd party applications, available on the market
- Collaborate with CG Leads, ILM show leadership and key production and technology stakeholders to ensure the production engineering group focuses on the highest priority projects
- Strive to find appropriate solutions to issues that meet both business and production needs
- Provide technical consulting to production staff regarding advanced computer graphic technology; assist in bidding projects requiring new software
- Standardize show procedures across all shows in partnership with CG Supervisors, Production leadership and Training
- Provide oversight on computing resources across all shows
- Act as point person for selections on software evaluations
- Have a strong point of view and a proven ability to diplomatically and successfully influence others
- Lead and supervise production engineering team, acting as a mentor to junior developers and other members of the team
- Conduct regular crew briefings to share information, show policies and techniques. Foster communication between teams and disciplines.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Scientific discipline required
- 10+ years demonstrated experience in software or systems development for computer graphics, including one or more of the following areas: animation, modeling, compositing and rendering
- Significant experience and working knowledge of software development methodologies and programming using Python or C/C++. Shell (bash/tcsh) scripting experience desired
- Experience using and developing software under Linux and/or Microsoft Windows
- Maya experience preferred, with experience in Python or MEL scripting and Maya plug-ins. Experience with other 3rd party software such as Softimage, 3DS Max, Houdini, Nuke or Katana a plus.
- Proven leadership of small software development projects and teams required
- Must be a demonstrated creative thinker and innovator
- Must have strong understanding of technology available for use throughout industry at large, and experience using tools outside ILM’s pipeline
- Must have extensive experience interfacing directly with production to build effective workflows with hands-on shot experience a plus
- Must be a compelling communicator with a strong point of view and a proven ability to influence others through diplomacy
- Must be able to articulate ideas effectively
- Must have strong communication, listening and people skills and be an outstanding people manager/supervisor, mentor and collaborator
- Must be a decisive person who will use strong follow through to support projects we’ve committed to
- Must be detail oriented, have strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.