Virtual Art Department - Jedi Academy (Internship)
The Jedi Academy offers a six week placement to current-year graduating students or artists with one to two years experience in VFX. The Jedi Academy provides the opportunity for graduating artists to learn from highly skilled supervisors and senior artists in the Virtual Art Department (VAD). The VAD bridges the gap between Production Design and VFX, creating Real Time environments for Virtual Production scouts. You will get exposure to a variety of workflows and softwares.
In this paid experience, successful applicants will be carefully placed into the Virtual Art Department and will provide entry-level work to that team. The successful applicants will have the opportunity to gain experience in a live production environment through training, mentorship, and real shot-work experience in a fast-paced production environment.
Graduates who successfully complete the program may be offered a Junior Artist position within the studio.
We are looking for an artist who reflects the innovative spirit and passion for great filmmaking that defines ILM.
What You’ll Do
Working in a “remote-first” fast-paced production environment, the Jedi Academy artists work closely with more senior artists and may be asked to:
- Produce high quality entry-level shot work
- Complete work within the timeframe bid
- Strengthen professional habits including the best way to present work in dailies, teamwork and communication
- Gain knowledge and appreciation of ILM’s culture and history
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in Canada and must provide proof of long-term eligibility. We do not provide assistance for relocation, housing, transportation, or work authorization for the Jedi Academy.
Applicants must have graduated from a relevant course within the last 12 months or have one to two years of VFX experience.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Design, Photography or related OR experience by working in our industry
- A strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, or digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes and interiors
- Some experience using a Real Time engine like Unreal or Unity. You are open to learning, with a demonstrated interest in and ability to quickly pick up new software
- Demonstrated ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, matte painting or compositing
- Strong teamwork, excellent communication and interdisciplinary thinking
- Entry-level knowledge in some or all of these software packages: Photoshop, 3DS Max, Maya, Perforce and 3D paint programs like Substance Painter. Comparable software experience considered.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.