ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Senior Modeler to join our team of artists and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Senior Modelers are responsible for building a variety of creature and/or hard surface models to be used by other disciplines along the pipeline under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
- Build complex models, including vehicles, mechanical suits, props and sets, with minimal supervision and art direction
Education / Experience
- At least 5 years experience
Required Skills / Competencies
- Proficient at learning proprietary software
- Sound familiarity with shape deformation tools
- Communicates well with other production artists and production management
- Accurately bid and schedule model builds
- Ability to lead and mentor entry and mid-level modelers
- Ability to adapt to and develop new techniques
- Sets a high standard for all modelers
- Excellent time management skills
- Demonstrates ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision to build complex models.
- Demonstrates good listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism about how to best approach what needs to be done. Immediately implements the requested changes and is conscientious about raising flags right away if a solution is not quickly found or if there are any delays. Also, keeps Supervisors and Production in the loop and are up-to-date at all times on the status of one’s assignment at all times.
- Demonstrates excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/model review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what should be addressed next.
- Demonstrates an excellent eye toward anticipating potential problems and knowing what could look could be improved and what is good enough.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks extremely well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on assignment completion.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Modo, Mudbox, Mari, Photoshop also a plus
Required Technical Skills
- Expert in Maya and Zbrush