The Senior Compositor combines and oversees others who combine live action and computer generated elements into visual effects shots that realize the vision and creative direction of the client and visual effects supervisor.
- Perform all tasks associated with the compositing process, including 2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements and color grading.
- Ability to perform digital matte painting, texture painting, or paint/roto work is a plus
- Together with the Lead Compositor evaluate the creative and technical approach for assigned shots.
- Complete work within the schedule while maintaining constant communication with production team and other artists.
- Hits given notes but is proactive in offering suggestions and alternate approaches.
- Prepares visual reference on hand when seeking feedback.
- Builds clean and efficient scripts.
- Works across departmental lines to develop techniques and efficiencies in current pipeline.
- Patient and persistent when involved in lookdev work.
- Consistently pushes for productivity enhancements in current pipeline and work practices.
- Works with management and show supervision to maintain strong morale, flag communication issues and escalate problems to appropriate chain of command.
- Helps others to trouble shoot shots and set ups.
- Takes ownership of the work and is proactive about offering solutions, efficiencies and “pluses” for look and technique.
- Acts as shot hub and primary point of contact for compositing heavy work. Keeps all shot artists and production in the loop on individual element deliveries and changes.
- Actively motivates team; organizes show and tells to share tips and tricks among team.
- Aids in career development of less experienced artists.
- Mentors and provides feedback for more junior members.
- Build strong rapport with counterparts in other ILM Studios.
Education / Experience
- 8+ years of experience in the high-end feature film visual effects.
- Demo reel required demonstrating strong artistic skills including knowledge of color, lighting, perspective, scale, and composition.
- Experience in a multi-platform environment is required.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Has demonstrated an excellent artistic eye, experienced in making the shot “look cool.”
- Ability to work with broad stroke notes and define looks for key events and shots.
- Ability to give artistic feedback to other compositors.
- Ability to time shots and sequences.
- Solid understanding of image pipeline from capture to delivery. Practical use of this knowledge to maintain the highest quality image possible. (i.e. concatenating transforms, color corrections, etc).
- Able to balance own shot work and active mentoring of less-experienced artists.
- Ability to manage multiple complex shots at same time.
- Ability to share techniques and mentor junior level talent.
- Proven ability to work closely in a small team with tight schedules.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and manage time well.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.