ILMxLAB Senior Gameplay Engineer
Gameplay Engineers are our chief gameplay problem-solvers with a focus on optimizing the user experience. Senior Gameplay Engineers lead teams, solve complex problems, and mentor junior and mid-level engineers.
We are looking for a technical leader who reflects the innovative spirit, technical talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
What you’ll do
- Design and implement solutions for gameplay mechanics, UI, player controls, animation, AI, physics, and more.
- Write polished, optimized, and documented code with an eye towards re-usability for multiple games.
- Serve as Lead Gameplay Engineer on the development team of Virtual, Mixed and Augmented Reality gameplay and experiences as needed.
- Work with Production on development schedule and design specification, ensure implementation of experience matches design goals.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of designers, artists and animators in a fast-paced, iterative development environment.
- Identify engineering opportunities, flag issues and propose solutions to ILMxLAB technology leadership for the greater good of the team/studio/company
- Use advanced knowledge to develop creative solutions to critical issues and complex design problems.
- Assist with R&D and rapid prototyping for prospective projects.
- Identify risks for tech/development and proactively propose solutions
- Engage in the QA process to identify, triage and fix bugs
- Supervise junior and mid-level programmers as required
What we’re looking for
- Bachelor’s/Master’s in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of game development experience and multiple shipped titles as a Gameplay Engineer or equivalent
- Extensive experience working with Unreal Engine or equivalent AAA game engine
- Experience building a wide variety of gameplay mechanics/systems
- Understanding of each discipline in the games/interactive development process, and the process as a whole from ideation through final delivery
- Seasoned judgment to recommend approaches that optimize among customer needs, business constraints, and technological realities
- Excellent C++ coder, strong understanding of C# and C
- Strong familiarity with the principles of Object-Oriented Design
- Solid understanding of algorithms, physics and math.
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Passionate about the immersive, interactive entertainment space
- Bonus points for previous work experience in AR/VR/mixed reality
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.