Director, Studio Technology
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Director of Studio Technology to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Director of Studio Technology is responsible for leading and managing the Sydney Technology team, the management of studio wide projects, and overseeing the technical operation of the studio. Under the direction of the VP, Technology for Lucasfilm & ILM and the Executive in Charge of the Sydney Studio, the Director of Studio Technology will collaborate with the global ILM studios to ensure consistency and compatibility is maintained and will be responsible for studio specific projects in conjunction with facilities and IT.
- Partnering with the Sydney management team, define the strategic and operational needs of the studio with the goal of maintaining a high level of smooth functionality and increased efficiency; collaborate with the VP of Technology and global peers to identify and deliver appropriate technical solutions.
- Work with the Sydney show leadership teams to understand resource and technology requirements for current and future projects; ensure any purchasing that is required is clearly communicated to show and studio management and is coordinated with global purchasing efforts.
- Ensure the Sydney show leadership teams have the support and resources they require to successfully execute projects; keep informed of show status and progress, provide extended coverage as needed and possible; work to keep the studio operational.
- Provide regular resource usage reports and projections to studio, show and technology leadership; identify pending resource issues and drive the planning and implementation process to adjust to meet show needs.
- Manage the IT and Production Technology teams within Sydney in partnership with Global Technology leads; ensuring clear communication on Technology strategy and expectations.
- Lead Sydney representation in the annual technology planning and budgeting process; ensure that the Sydney requirements are understood, create the technology budget proposals, build the budget spreadsheets and present to company management for review.
- Act on the budget purchasing in a timely manner so that studio technology continues to advance and improve the experience and efficiency of artists.
- Be a key stakeholder for continual improvement of technology and process by ensuring technical initiatives are delivered on time and on budget.
- Collaborate with peers at other studios to maximize operational consistency and sharing to maximize the benefits from being a global team; ensure that operational and technical initiatives are clearly communicated to the local studio and CG management teams.
- Responsible for managing studio facility strategic planning including space utilization, new building planning and Technology requirements.
- Manage the effective communication and collaboration between Facilities, Technology & Production to ensure an efficient running studio.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor degree in an industry relevant discipline.
- Significant experience within a technical operations leadership role within the VFX industry or related field.
- Experience working for a global company and liaising with teams based across many time zones.
- Proven experience of successfully managing multiple, high profile projects
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Strong people management skills; ability to inspire, mentor and develop a highly motivated and happy team.
- Ability to work collaboratively with non-technical employees across the organization and at all levels.
- Thorough knowledge of the range of VFX disciplines and the processes employed in the creation of high-end visual effects.
- Working knowledge of VFX tools, for example Nuke and Maya, and how they are used within the VFX pipeline
- Excellent project management and prioritization skills within a highly dynamic environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator.
- Ability to successfully manage vendor relationships.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.